Bathroom Cost

Soldato
Looks great. Are you getting tired of the waterfall shower yet? I moved in and had the same unit I think; I replaced it with a dual waterfall/regular shower and we haven't used the waterfall once since :cry:

Is the fan an envirovent? Mine has starting making a proper racket... :(

Soldato
I like the shower, I had to plumb inline pumps to manage the pressure but they work great as they have flow sensors. The extractor fan may be my favourite thing, it has a humidity sensor and runs only when it it needed and is quiet, but it was about £100.

Soldato
I like the shower, I had to plumb inline pumps to manage the pressure but they work great as they have flow sensors. The extractor fan may be my favourite thing, it has a humidity sensor and runs only when it it needed and is quiet, but it was about £100.
Yeah mine is pumped too. Such a night and day difference compared to running off of a combi.

Just realised you have no tat in your bathroom. Either your single or this was a WIP picture :p

Caporegime
Guys. How difficult is tiling? See quite a few people doing it themselves. But got an ensuite that is not used due to being terrible and was wondering about doing some myself?

Soldato
Guys. How difficult is tiling? See quite a few people doing it themselves. But got an ensuite that is not used due to being terrible and was wondering about doing some myself?

I did my kitchen floor last year. It was a complete ball ache but that’s because I didn’t get it level before I started. Figured I could do it with the adhesive. It’s a small kitchen and busy tiles so it doesn’t look bad but you wouldn’t want to walk on it bare foot.

The actual tiling process is pretty easy though, just take your time and get good spacers. Like everything, it’s all in the prep and I rushed it. I imagine wall tiling is easier as it’ll be a flat wall?

The biggest challenge was cutting the tiles for the kick boards without an electric tile saw. I had the nippers and a tile saw. Was a complete pain and in the end I just removed the kick boards and cut a notch out of them.

It cost around £100 for all the tools/equipment (less tiles) so seems worth having a go. If you make a mess of it you’re not down a lot of money and if it works you’ve saved a fortune.

Soldato
Invest in the gear and spend the time getting the floor level. That could be as simple as laying decent thickness ply that you then prime.

I was a bit apprehensive about doing it myself but it turned out brilliantly and I found it easier than wall tiling.

Associate
I've had several quotes, some ridiculous, some reasonable.

Downstairs toilet, which must be no more than 2m x 1m and for which we only want the floor tiled and a small splashback i had two separate companies quote me about £4k which is just absolutely ridiculous, not going with either. The main bathroom, a much bigger space that is 3m x 3m and we're getting fully tiled, with shower over bath, bath filler, and sink with storage drawers underneath etc, skim ceiling, quotes came in at £9k to £13k. The £9k quote is what we went for as they were the most professional and it was our design and we chose some high end options (fancy mirror, bath filler, extra strength bath, rainfall shower etc). Some places are an absolute rip-off, had one place quote me £100 per square metre for a tile we liked, while the other place was doing it for £25.

However, the guy earlier in this thread.... £45k for a bathroom, got to be absolutely joking.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
Easily 4-6K id say mine was 4.5K with a small 2x2 metre bathroom 5 years ago, that includes tiling on walls and pretty much levelling new floor properly and replacement of all stuff.

I have heard some guys at same time they paid only £800 for labour and parts.... and another 2K... but tbh I did not believe them and when I asked for their builders numbers got blank faces. You could easily visit any diy store or go online and start adding bath tub, sink, flooring, toilet, paint, radiator and taps etc and you will see it starts hitting 1.5k-2K+ easily then try adding builders labour charge that is easily 2-3k+ so you are looking roughly 4-6K on average.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
id love to know how much builders charge to refurbish a 2 or 3 or 4 bedroom house ? whole lot like new flooring boards, skirting boards, doors, windows, wiring, piping etc )

Soldato
id love to know how much builders charge to refurbish a 2 or 3 or 4 bedroom house ? whole lot like new flooring boards, skirting boards, doors, windows, wiring, piping etc )

Far too many variables, size of the house, quality of the finish / products, location in the country ..... Would vary immensely

Soldato
I’d budget at 10K per bathroom which will allow for quality fittings, tiles etc and good quality labour up here in Scotland. We have the first of 4 kicking off in a couple of weeks and likely to be going at them once a quarter after that one

Back
Top Bottom