Bathroom thread

Soldato
Imaginative thread title! Looking to get our bathroom done, not particularly big 2 * 2.4m ish, would be a total refit, toilet, sink, bath with shower, preferably tiled. What sort of price is realistic for a budget?

Also where's good for buying all the fittings, heard victoria plumb is bad?

Soldato
Cost would vary depending on
Quality used, tiled floor to ceiling, or just halfway up
Doing any of the work yourself
And other factors
Total rip out of ours and tiled to ceiling all
Walls, altro flooring,ceiling skimmed ,electrics done etc
And all labour
Came to 4.5k
You could spend a lot less or a lot more depends what you want

Soldato
I bought some bathroom stuff from Victoria plumb for our old house. Bath turned up smashed to pieces. Cheeky swines wanted us to dispose of it after they finally brought us a new one. We refused unsurprisingly.

Soldato
Walls in good condition?
If need a plasterer first then that's extra cost
Too many variables
But at 4.5k didn't do any of it myself at all
I would say it's good quality
But you could use cheaper than altro flooring, cheaper tiles etc
Or more expensive stuff
It's all down to how much you want to spend there's no 1 price fits all
4~5k for a good job doesn't seem unrealistic to me
But you might be able to do it for half that
Depending exactly what you require
Or twice that if you want really nice stuff
Guess I can't give a definitive answer lol
Best bet is get some quotes
Discuss the exact spec you want with them
Ask for a quote for different levels of specs

Associate
Victoria plumb and the other one victorian plumbing are fine until something goes wrong and then the hell begins.

For tiles check out https://www.wallsandfloors.co.uk/

Plumbworld are good for bathroom bits.

Would second Walls and Floors. Local to me which is handy as they have a decent showroom in Kettering. We used them for all the tiles when we completely gutted and renovated our house.

Soldato
I'm doing our downstairs W/C at the moment but it's 2m * 1.8m so similar size. No shower or bath but everything else is the same and we've gone for a fair few units and a quartz worktop. Work starts in about 2 weeks and with everything priced up it's looking at being about £6k-£7k.

We have an en-suite (3.4m * 2m) which we'll do next and I'm expecting that to be about £7k-£8k (hardly any units and no worktop but lots more tiles).

Soldato
Our en suite, 2.5m x 2.5m I did 18 months ago..

Quotes from local bathroom companies where all north of £8k, I needed a small bit of work done to maximise the space and floor to ceiling tiles but nothing more than a little bit of stud work..

In the end I started looking at the cost of all the items, and found that I could buy (looking for discounted stuff) a much higher spec than quoted (e.g. Burlington units) for £1.8K including tiles and flooring..

I then phoned a few smaller builders, and one guy we've used before quoted £2.2k and 2-3 weeks to fit.. so the total in the end was £4K..

Obviously you need to find someone that knows what they are doing with a shower, most cheap installers would not properly tape/seal the surfaces and joints of the plasterboard or waterproof wall boards behind the tiles, they'd just slap the tray down and tile on top with a bit of silicone around the tray..

Soldato
In the midst of having our bathroom done now. Got the tiler in at the moment, rest of suite going in friday and should be finished. All the plumbing etc is completed.

total cost for labour is 3.7k
Bathroom suite 2.7k inc tiles etc. all from victorian plumbing.

isVGDzT.jpg
jRoT4Xd.jpg

qBVlLYK.jpg

Associate
Buy your bathroom fittings yourself (stick to quality brands- grohe/ Mira/ Roca etc). They are not that expensive compared to Victoria plumb if you shop around- we used random internet sites and plumbword/ plumbnation as above.

Subcontract the work to a local builder who ideally can do the lot- don't go to a bathroom company. If not- get a separate electrician/ plumber/ tiler etc and don't be scared to shop around.

I saved >3k and got better branded fittings, better tiles in the process..

Back
Top Bottom