Battery question.

Permabanned
Would you say this battery is on its way out or not ?

Seat Leon cupra 1.8t

alternator i have confirmed is outputting 14.4V so that is not the problem.

The problem with the car is that it is stood most of the time.

My uncle tries to take it out for a run at least once a week 30 - 50 miles
but the battery keeps going flat.
Would you say being stood for a week in this weather would make your battery go flat or defo not.

I am not sure as I always use the cars I own every day.

Approx 3 months ago he came back to england before that the car was stood for about 7 months and i started it up every few days to keep everything running etc.
however the battery went flat once when i left the car just over a week.

Thanks for any replies
James.

Man of Honour
It was almost this cold just after Christmas, and Kate's Mondeo stood for a week. When I jumped in it it refused to start because the battery was too low. After a top-up and charge it's been fine since.

Associate
It depends what sort of drain the clock and other item's put on the battery.

The battery in my Rover vitesse is nearly 8 years old and works fine, the car is reguarly stood for a week at a time, but never fails to start (i've tempted fate now :p )

Soldato
A week still and then 30 miles -should- be plenty, even when it's cold (unless you've got a really hungry alarm system). If the battery were going, it would explain it, but batteries should last at least 5 years, even when they are treated quite badly.

Permabanned
No3ntry said:
Anyway to test for knackered'ness ?

The only decent test is an amperage test which Halfords certainly won't do. I'd suggest removing the battery from the car and charging it with a standalone charger for 24 hours. The battery may be deeply discharged and a long charge can help it to recover.

Back
Top Bottom