US: BattleBots 2015

Soldato
BattleBots: ABC revives US version of Robot Wars

According to Deadline, the new series will follow the same premise as the original, with homemade robots battling one another in an elimination tournament until one champion emerges.

The robots are said to be "bigger, faster and stronger" than in the original series, and the show will also focus more on the design and build process of each robot and the builders' backstories.

There will be cash prizes on offer for winners and previous weight classes have been eliminated, meaning that robots of all sizes will compete against each other.

BattleBots will air six episodes during the summer of 2015.

Robot Wars was originally broadcast in the UK between 1998 and 2004.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
ufc for robots :)

Use to love it when Lister from red dwarf said awoooooga and that football fashinu use to squirm :)

Soldato
Used to bloody love Robot Wars. I can't tell you how much I lost it when Cassius debuted the SRiMec. Was just so unexpected - I thought he was a goner.

Later series suffered from the robots getting too good (not enough destruction) and the rules becoming too bureaucratic (such as the immobilisation rules; Gemini being counted as out because one of the two mini-bots being immobilised was a particular low-light).

Associate
Used to love robot wars, but it got really boring once everyone realised a flipper was the best weapon and all the robots either had a self righting mechanism or could work upside down.

Soldato
Just watched the first two episodes... honestly it seemed to be 'missing' something compared with robot wars.

I do like the little mini robots they're allowed but I miss the 'house robots' and things like the pit. They could have also had a flat surface, one machine got screwed over (complete control - and yes lol at net, but clever too) due to the surface lifting, the 'rematch' would have been much more interesting.

Also feel they should ban 'hypnodisc' type robots or put them in a separate class, once they spin up in most cases they do so much damage it ruins the match.

As a side note I'd say the guys driving warhead would have been better if they'd have kept using razor (99% certain it's the same guys)....warheads disc just isn't low enough.

Lockjaws contractor driver isn't any worse than a bunch of engineering graduates. Maybe they should have 'leagues' based on skills/backgrounds etc

Soldato
Just watched the first two episodes... honestly it seemed to be 'missing' something compared with robot wars.

Watched first episode feeling same whilst the battles were ok ,but I just cant do with the way American's present it like its wrestling or boxing the typical loud ott usa presenting I guess.

Also them robots being build look like they had 10`s of thousands spent on them, think part of robot wars appeal was the fact they actually looked like they were made in a shed with broken wheelchair motors not in a military engineering facility but I guess that's just my opinion probably :p

Associate
Later series suffered from the robots getting too good (not enough destruction) and the rules becoming too bureaucratic (such as the immobilisation rules; Gemini being counted as out because one of the two mini-bots being immobilised was a particular low-light).

Season 7 winner Typhoon (full body spinner) damaged every opponent plus house bots and tore out a chunk of the arena wall.

There was a special episode where an American robot, Mauler?, wasn't allowed to compete as they were afraid the welding would fail and 2kg flails would smash through the polycarbonate killing someone in the audience.

Battlebots has higher voltages and less safety regs than Robots Wars.

Last edited:
Associate
It's a bit meh - so far I've pretty much skipped to the battles and ignored all the rubbish. It's a bit of a shame when they don't let robots obliterate one enough... instead just having them disabled and counted out. I want carnage.

You might be interested in checking out this guy's edit of the episodes Subreddit link, if you don't mind venturing onto reddit anyway.

I enjoyed watching them, isn't quite the same without Craig Charles though.

Man of Honour
Didn't realise there was a thread.

Good on ABC, showing it to anyone from around the world after 1 week.

It's just as painful to watch as most modern TV, could be shortened to a 20min program and be so much better,

And wow how are people still making crape robots.
Tombstone is so far ahead of the others.
In the entire USA the best robot was some flimsy thing with a brain, or a small one with zero weapons and delicate large wheels.
Spinners or flippers are about the only ones who should be in the ring, or a fast manoeuvrable Razor.
I bet tombstone would disintegrate if flipped whilst span up.

It's not just different rules to what robot wars were. It's a different era. Lithium ion batteries where barely around then, they have far more energy to play with now. Yet so many still have utterly pointless or non existent weapons on.

You might be interested in checking out this guy's edit of the episodes Subreddit link, if you don't mind venturing onto reddit anyway.

I enjoyed watching them, isn't quite the same without Craig Charles though.

And amazing

Last edited:
Soldato
Spent Saturday night watching all 5 episodes.

I generally dislike the American style of hosting. Less of that, and more of Alison Haislip, please!!!

I did notice that all of the episodes I watched were 60fps - which was just lovely and buttery smooth!!

I was really surprised to see Tombstone getting its backside handed to it, really unfortunate that the other one got KO'd due to the flip, I reckon with the remaining minute and a half, it could have taken out Tombstone! Gave the Tombstone driver a bit of a shock, he certainly wasn't expecting that!!

Back
Top Bottom