BBC Coverage

Soldato
I think the bbc coverage of these olympics is superb but what frustrates me is why can they afford to show every event from the olympics but cant afford to show mainstream sports such as

Rallying
Formula 1
Tennis
Premiership Football
Cricket

Soldato
I suspect the Olympics has some rule about always being on a free to air station and picking the biggest one for every year. The Olympics is an amateur event so isn't really in the business of selling "rights".

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I imagine that Premiership Football is a lot more expensive then broadcasting all these events, the rights to games are crazily expensive. I'm not too sure about the other sports.

Soldato
eh? whats that got to do with my thread, did you read my post? :o

berneydidnotread.gif

Caporegime
The fact they can afford to show every sport at the Olympics is the exact reason why they can't afford to show other sports. It was either provide world class coverage of a once in a lifetime event or provide weaker coverage of everything. Everything lost.

Edit: Didn't think it was possible for one person to make a whole forum feel like GD. Well done estebanrey :rolleyes:

Soldato
Surely we are only broadcasting everything (first time ever) because its the Olympics.... a huge event. Not everyone wants to see every premier league football game on BBC (though could use the red button thingy).

Glad we can watch it online though, had the swimming and athletics both on =)

Last edited:
Soldato
I suspect the Olympics has some rule about always being on a free to air station and picking the biggest one for every year. The Olympics is an amateur event so isn't really in the business of selling "rights".

I was wrong it seems....

The BBC, which also holds Olympics rights through to 2020, paid about 60 million pounds ($94 million) to broadcast the London Olympics.

Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/2012/08/03/4689838/london-olympics-offers-a-boost.html#storylink=cpy

Soldato
OP
Surely we are only broadcasting everything (first time ever) because its the Olympics.... a huge event. Not everyone wants to see every premier league football game on BBC (though could use the red button thingy).

not everyone wants to watch table tennis i mean seriously who will bother watching that once the olympics are over? same as the clay pigeon shooting etc etc

Soldato
It's got nothing to do with what the BBC chooses to spend their money on.

Sky see a popular sport and they will outbid the Beeb in order to get it.

Soldato
not everyone wants to watch table tennis i mean seriously who will bother watching that once the olympics are over? same as the clay pigeon shooting etc etc
It's what for 2 weeks though...? Not like we're going to host it again anytime soon either.

For those who like table tennis or water polo or something which isn't 'mainstream', I'm sure they would be quite disappointed if they couldn't watch it.

Caporegime
Around the same that they would have had to pay to keep F1 exclusively, but with multiple times the audience.

Nobody can compete with Sky when they decide they want a sport, which is why a lot of them are on Sky, but what the BBC do have they do well. I think this Olympics coverage has been phenomenal.

Soldato
OP
i agree it is unbelievable

i just dont get why they can only show 1 out of 4 tennis grand slams and show no cricket.

WRC is massive even sky dont have that coverage

Back
Top Bottom