BBC presenter sacked for demanding non-Asian driver

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
are you saying that, given the childs fear, the mother should have just accepted whatever driver was selected for the job?
Firstly the child is 14 - it's not like they're going to run off crying is it? Secondly, if my child was frightened of Asian people I'd be so ashamed of my poor parenting skills that I would be taking time off work, and the kid out of school, to sort the issue out.

f your child truely had a fear, would you force them to do something that would put them directly in contact with the object of their fear?
That is how most phobia's are best dealt with... but how likely is it that the kid is phobic of Asian people and not just very racist of them?

RDM

RDM

Soldato
That is how most phobia's are best dealt with... but how likely is it that the kid is phobic of Asian people and not just very racist of them?

Throwing the person into a situation they fear with absolutely no support is not how phobia's are best dealt with...

Associate
Sorry if I'm getting the wrong end of the stick here, but are some people in here saying that it's ok to discriminate on the grounds of race because of the way you've brought up your own child?

fini said:
Firstly the child is 14 - it's not like they're going to run off crying is it? Secondly, if my child was frightened of Asian people I'd be so ashamed of my poor parenting skills

^ That pretty much sums it up for me.

Soldato
Firstly the child is 14 - it's not like they're going to run off crying is it? Secondly, if my child was frightened of Asian people I'd be so ashamed of my poor parenting skills that I would be taking time off work, and the kid out of school, to sort the issue out.

Why would you automatically assume that theres no logical reason as to why the child would be scared of an asian?
What if she had been raped, assaulted or something?
Silly post, you're condemning something too broad when sometimes there are perfectly logical and acceptable reasons.

That could actually be the case here, nobody knows - so you're all a bit thick for slagging her off for it.

Soldato
Why would you automatically assume that theres no logical reason as to why the child would be scared of an asian?
What if she had been raped, assaulted or something?
So you think if any of that had happened to the kid she wouldn't have mentioned it to her employer's before being fired? She wouldn't mention it when the paper's started printing stuff about her? Do you not think that would be the first thing she would have said?

Caporegime

No its not how phobias are best dealt with! It would cause some people to have heart attacks. If someone was about to throw me into a room with loads of spiders and walk off, I would rip there heads off before getting anywhere near the place.
throw someone off a building who has a problem with heights, no prior thought about doing it (with a parachute of course), just take them to top of building, put pack on and throw them. See what reaction is given, it will be pure fear, ****ing themselves probably and likely passing out.

Caporegime
So you think if any of that had happened to the kid she wouldn't have mentioned it to her employer's before being fired? She wouldn't mention it when the paper's started printing stuff about her? Do you not think that would be the first thing she would have said?

unfortunately there is no law that states the media needs to tell the person who they are writing about, that a story is about to be released.

it had all happened before she had a chance to do anything, also, the BBC have not released any dialogue between them and her have they? she probably has a clause to say nothing regarding the sacking.

Soldato
No its not how phobias are best dealt with! It would cause some people to have heart attacks. If someone was about to throw me into a room with loads of spiders and walk off, I would rip there heads off before getting anywhere near the place.
throw someone off a building who has a problem with heights, no prior thought about doing it (with a parachute of course), just take them to top of building, put pack on and throw them. See what reaction is given, it will be pure fear, ****ing themselves probably and likely passing out.
So you've taken that she'd 'feel safer' and turned your whole argument around the idea that she has a phobia of Asian people? Does such phobia even exist?

Soldato
unfortunately there is no law that states the media needs to tell the person who they are writing about, that a story is about to be released.
Well yes and no - it is some times relevant in defamation cases (see the Galloway case).

it had all happened before she had a chance to do anything,
Wow you suddenly know an awful lot about this. Source? Even if it did go up before she knew about it how many stories do you see that have been changed to include a quote from the relevant person - if she phoned them up offering her point of view it would almost certainly make its way in to the story.

RDM

RDM

Soldato
So you've taken that she'd 'feel safer' and turned your whole argument around the idea that she has a phobia of Asian people? Does such phobia even exist?

Erm you mentioned phobias and the best way to deal with them...

It would probably fall under xenophobia.

RDM

RDM

Soldato
Nope.

Morba was already talking of

He was talking about phobias without using the word.

Regardless, your stated method of dealing with phobia's isn't really the best way of doing it. :D

She was right to get sacked because she bought her employer in to it. However she was also well within her rights to ask for whatever she wanted in the way of driver.

Soldato

if i was a young lass, 14, that had been raped id prefer my mum didnt tell the world and its dog, it would just be another story for the sun, poor 14yr old girl raped by asian, now tormented everytime she sees an asian, poor poor 14yr old girl.
Then everyone knows, lucky her.
What the mother did was still silly regardless, and it looks as if now shes in the public eye her previous offences are too, meaning shes got to go.

Im not saying it DID happen, im saying it COULD have, nobody quite knows anything about this family on this forum as far as im aware, and then you have aload of idiots slagging anyone off who would think of doing something similar without accepting that there are infact valid reasons, even if they are technically classed as racist common sense should kick in.

Racism is such a stupid thing, the word shouldnt be used for half the things it is these days as at the end of the day they are just coming together of cultures and communitys mostly, whereas in the past it was a little different whereas it really did affect peoples lives massively compared to how it generally does today.
Its not like she took a whip to anyone, or hung anyone by their neck.
Nobody got beaten up, nobody had to give up their seat on the bus.
There all still aloud to vote, they still get the same wages, they are aloud into pubs, everyones aloud to go to the same schools providing they meet requirements.

Blown out of proportion, Im sure you could find worse racism inside the offices of The Sun to be honest.

Soldato
Its not like she took a whip to anyone, or hung anyone by their neck.
Nobody got beaten up, nobody had to give up their seat on the bus.
There all still aloud to vote, they still get the same wages, they are aloud into pubs, everyones aloud to go to the same schools providing they meet requirements.

Blown out of proportion, Im sure you could find worse racism inside the offices of The Sun to be honest.

Exactly and end of thread as far as i'm concerned. Though, I suspect most opposers here wouldn't dare accept this fact and change their opinion in the face of overwhelming and undeniable logic, would they...?

Soldato
No, its racist plain and simple, if you were raped by a white man you wouldn't avoid all white people. That's all it boils down to.

Last edited:
Soldato
Exactly and end of thread as far as i'm concerned. Though, I suspect most opposers here wouldn't dare accept this fact and change their opinion in the face of overwhelming and undeniable logic, would they...?
Except it's not a fact.

peetee said:
they still get the same wages
Taxi drivers typically get paid per job. If the taxi firm had consented the Asian taxi driver would have lost money and the white female taxi driver would have gained money. Her racism is having an effect on that taxi driver's wage.

There all still aloud to vote...they are aloud into pubs, everyones aloud to go to the same schools providing they meet requirements.
So as long as you're allowed to go in to the pub, a school and vote then anything else that happens to you it would be 'blown out of proportion' to call racism?

Soldato
Taxi drivers typically get paid per job. If the taxi firm had consented the Asian taxi driver would have lost money and the white female taxi driver would have gained money. Her racism is having an effect on that taxi driver's wage.

So as long as you're allowed to go in to the pub, a school and vote then anything else that happens to you it would be 'blown out of proportion' to call racism?

Urm the woman didnt sack anyone, she merely asked for an english driver.
Asians could have tended to other fares, lets face it.. theres a few more than 1 fare a day isnt there.
Her racism probably had no effect on that taxi drivers wage, as from a full days work for all those drivers only 1 fare was 'lost'(even though they never had it anyway), besides, it wasnt guaranteed that the driver was going to be asian anyway.

The first parts of your post makes me think you should go on a witch hunt about the female taxi company to be honest, men are losing fares because of those woman, those sexist pigs, discriminating against men.

My point wasnt that compared to racism in the past this is pretty much completely pointless and a waste of breath, no harm has came to any asians or anything, they havnt lost anything.
Its a stupid witch hunt conjured up by the sun, im shocked theres so many outraged by it, its the sun...... its not really aimed at the intelligent.
Its one naive woman who has had a slip of the tongue for what she feels is a harmless request that would make her daughter feel safer, who may for unknown reasons have a genuine reason to be scared of asians.

Who here would let their naive little 14yr old bookwork daughter, whos incredibly gullable/impressionable(right word?) who has happened to watch too much of the news get on a bus thats full of clearly muslim men?
Maybe shes freaking out because she thinks ones a terrorist?
Or maybe see her off onto a train when theres just one big black youth with a shaved eyebrow and shaved hair whos looking quite menacing.

Sometimes somethings just cant be helped, I cant imagine many asians would want their 14yr old daughter alone with certain white men/youths, norr would pakistani or indians etc.

Soldato
Urm the woman didnt sack anyone, she merely asked for an english driver.
You even quoted me saying that taxi drivers typically get paid per job. This is a job that would have potentially gone to an Asian taxi driver had she not made her request and, as such, that taxi driver lost out on money. The causal link's not difficult.

Asians could have tended to other fares, lets face it.. theres a few more than 1 fare a day isnt there.
If you're implying that Asian people might ask for Asian people then that would be just as racist.

Her racism probably had no effect on that taxi drivers wage, as from a full days work for all those drivers only 1 fare was 'lost'(even though they never had it anyway),
So racism's OK if only a few people are racist? Does it matter if the driver lost one fare or 20 - the point is that he would have lost money, however much it was, due to the prejudiced behaviour of that woman.

The first parts of your post makes me think you should go on a witch hunt about the female taxi company to be honest
Well, to be honest, beyond saying that exists nobody's actually linked to it, given its name or said anything about it at all. I'd be interested in having a look in to this taxi company and how they're not breaking the law. Shiela's wheels, for example, is often used by people to talk about companies being discriminatory yet they actually DO offer insurance to men.

who may for unknown reasons have a genuine reason to be scared of asians.
Can you give me a scenario which would give you a genuine reason to be frightened of all Asian men?

Soldato
Can you give me a scenario which would give you a genuine reason to be frightened of all Asian men?

If you got raped by one yesterday and where a complete mess up top due to it?

Overall I accept its technically racism, but its hardly hurting anyone. Potentially an asian drive has lost out on earning an extra fare, big deal, nobody would bat an eyelid if somebody went into shop A over shop B just because the owner was white or whatever, as im sure shop B gets someone else going in as they are the same 'race'/culture.
Annoying to be honest, its literally £10, does anybody gives a ****, shes been naive and put her foot in it.
Some people need to just accept little conflicts of cultures and what not and get on with it, we dont live in a perfect world, things should balance out, but in the current climate its a **** take in the current PC climate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom