Poll: BBC Sports Personality of the Year

Who should win BBC Sports Personality of the Year?

• Andy Murray

Votes: 26 11.3%
  • Bradley Wiggins

Votes: 112 48.7%
  • Ben Ainslie

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Chris Hoy

Votes: 14 6.1%
  • David Weir

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • Ellie Simmonds

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • Jessica Ennis

Votes: 34 14.8%
  • Mo Farah

Votes: 25 10.9%
  • Nicola Adams

• Rory McIlroy

Votes: 10 4.3%
  • Sarah Storey

• Katherine Grainger

Votes: 3 1.3%

• Total voters
Caporegime
Of course if you're going to be a pedant there is mental pressure in all sports, but I don't beleive getting on a bike and racing out over weeks where results can ebb and flow is the same as having to nail your "once in a 4 year thow / jump / run etc type pressure on the day.

Next you will be saying it was easier for him as he had a team and other riders to carry him along most of the race ;)

Soldato
I think Wiggins and Murray stand out for me because both achieved a feat that hasn't been achieved by a Brit either never or not for a very long time AND won Olympic gold.

Ennis and Farah both deserve a huge amount of credit for winning golds under intense pressure.

I feel most sorry for McIlroy though, he has the potential to be one of the greats but is rather overlooked in these things. It would be nice if Team Europe got the team award for their Ryder Cup exploits at least.

Soldato
Has to be Wiggo. His le Tour victory was hugely significant, before the Olympics quickly blew everything out of the water.

In second, Murray. Not the most likeable so and so, but he finally came good this year.

Farrah should be in that top three, his surge to the top of the long distance events in the last couple of years has been astounding.

As for Ennis, she showed some bottle, and I was in the stadium on the Saturday morning of the Heptathlon, so I could hear the mayhem in the crowd everytime she so much as moved. Trouble is, I'm not sure how much competition she really had that weekend. She's a great athlete and will almost certainly go on to become a legend of UK athletics, but others acheived more important things this year.

Soldato
I notice a lot of people are posting Murray as deserving of it, or coming close, but he only has one vote so far! Interesting stats if that carries on.

Such a tough year to pick. Chris Hoy deserves something because this could be argued being the best chance he has at winning this award, it might not come around again for him. But you could say that about a lot of them up there.

For me its, Wiggins, I've been an avid follower of the Tour de France and cycling in general and was totally gutted for him last year and really feel like he deserved it this time. Plus, he is a great PERSONALITY! Instantly likeable and gives "interesting" interviews. As well as a phenomenal sportsman, he comes across as a great bloke too.

Soldato
I voted for Hoy just because I'm Bias, and I have a man crush on him... Really though, I wanted to vote for all of them. It's a ridiculous year for British sport.

I would like Murray to win it though, just because of all the criticism he's had to put up with.

Soldato
Voted Mo Farah.

Done a lot of running in my time, and It's had me in some dark places mentally and physically.. so I respect him for what he must have put himself through to get to that level.

Associate
I think it's really sad so few will vote for Murray. A Wimbledon Final, two Olympic medals and a Grand Slam (all at a time of impossibly high standards in the game) - for a British tennis player that is miraculous and he should be the clear winner. But a lighthearted joke a decade ago and an unwillingness to pander to the masses on court has meant to so many he is someone to put down and dislike.
And Wiggins? Sure he has huge sideburns but there's a smug and smarmy air to him. Besides, what he achieved in the Tour although brilliant was at least in part a team effort. Those two aside, Jess Enis is perhaps as good a role model as possible and imo the most likable of the bunch.

Man of Honour
I notice a lot of people are posting Murray as deserving of it, or coming close, but he only has one vote so far! Interesting stats if that carries on.

If I'd set it up as a multiple choice poll he'd definitely be in my top three but as it's just one name it has to be Wiggins as he's done something that no Briton has ever done before or even come close to if it comes to that. Some Brits have led the Tour but they were never going to be there on the Champs-Elyssee.

I'm hopeful that Murray will be able to build on the US Open and win another couple of Slam events so potentially he's got time.

Sarah Storey is a quite remarkable athlete as well, a gnats whisker away from being on the full GB Olympic Team in the team pursuit and it's only because there is such exceptional talent there that she didn't make it. Disabled or not she'd be there or thereabouts for almost every other nation that competes in track cycling.

There's a part of me that wants to see Sir Chris Hoy win it but that's more of a sop as a lifetime achievement than for what he did this year - although his victory in the keirin is quite frankly electrifying to watch. No-one takes it out with two laps to go and holds on, it's just not done and yet he did it and powered away at the end - you can see Maximilian Levy pull level as they're entering the final lap and even nudge ahead then watch Hoy almost shrug that off to put in a lap like you'll never see again, his front wheel even seems almost to lift as he's crossing the line because of the power he's putting down.

And Wiggins? Sure he has huge sideburns but there's a smug and smarmy air to him. Besides, what he achieved in the Tour although brilliant was at least in part a team effort.

It was a team effort to an extent in the Tour and yes, the course suited him but he's not just a bit better than the rest in a time trial - he decimated the field each and every single time. If my memory hasn't failed he was a full km/h faster than the next quickest rider in the Olympic and that was 50km/h average across the whole thing vs 49 km/h - he was also almost 3/4 of a minute ahead on a 44km course, that's huge at their level.

Caporegime
I think it's really sad so few will vote for Murray. A Wimbledon Final, two Olympic medals and a Grand Slam (all at a time of impossibly high standards in the game) - for a British tennis player that is miraculous and he should be the clear winner. But a lighthearted joke a decade ago and an unwillingness to pander to the masses on court has meant to so many he is someone to put down and dislike.

I don't like him or his attitude. This year though he has been different. You could see it at Wimbledon, even more so at the Olympics and again when he won his slam.
He's gone a long way this year to being more liked I think and his achievements this year are fantastic given the crazy standard in men's tennis ATM.
He rightly deserves to be in with a shout

Soldato
They are all very deserving, some especially so.
For me though it's got to be Wiggo.

He is the first Brit to win the toughest and most prestigious endurance race in the world, that alone is the reason he should win SPOTY. He even won the respect of the French fans and press and put on a fantastic show for the final stage of the Champs-Elysees. He did all he could to try and get Cav gold in the Road Race, then went on to win his own in the time-trial.

Yes he can be temperamental with the media and he is the first to admit it. But he is also a character and embraces it at times. Just thinking of some of the things he has done...

He stood on the Tour de France podium and said that the raffle numbers would be drawn shortly! Thanked people and reminded them not to get too drunk, all stuff you wouldn't expect from a typical sportsperson upon winning.

He's a bit of a mod, loves his music and had his sideburns replicated and given away by newspapers.

He's got bags of character and aside from his actual achievements totally fits the personality part.

Back
Top Bottom