Poll: BBQ Gas vs Coal

Charcoal or gas

• Charcoal

Votes: 101 68.2%
  • More charcoal (because i like it burnt)

Votes: 47 31.8%
  • Gas - an elegant grill for a more civilised age

Votes: 31 20.9%

• Total voters
Man of Honour
In theory, no, it's all in how well you lay it.... in theory!! :D
not true.
there can be many different things which make cheaper ones problematic.

temperature control and air vent placement. Some bbqs just so poorly made that its next to impossible to control and others have the vents in the wrong place to start with.
things like metal guage and coating quality which affects lifespan .
other things just make life much easier like ash catcher.

So yes it very much depends on the model and whether it would be any good.

Soldato
not true.
there can be many different things which make cheaper ones problematic.
Once again, for those of you in the cheap seats... "In theory". :D

I've done and had plenty good barbecues and braais on some of the cheapest, shittiest little cookers and even the 'petrol station special' foil tray things.
Most of the other factors you mentioned are secondary considerations, in terms of longevity, features, etc, but the basic cook is down to the fundamentals of grilling over open coals and no different than having an open fire, since those work wonderfully and don't even have ash catchers, coal stacks, airflow adjusters, etc and people managed without Weber for many many centuries. :D

Man of Honour
Once again, for those of you in the cheap seats... "In theory". :D

I've done and had plenty good barbecues and braais on some of the cheapest, shittiest little cookers and even the 'petrol station special' foil tray things.
Most of the other factors you mentioned are secondary considerations, in terms of longevity, features, etc, but the basic cook is down to the fundamentals of grilling over open coals and no different than having an open fire, since those work wonderfully and don't even have ash catchers, coal stacks, airflow adjusters, etc and people managed without Weber for many many centuries. :D

bbq isn't just about griling, you are forgetting low and slow.
and most people aren't going to dig holes in the ground and other such methods for slow cooking like they used to have.
or build a bbq pit from scratch ith a very high grid to lower the heat.
Just because it was done hundreads of years ago doesn't mean they didnt know what they where doing or working on some pretty good equipment, they had far more know how that the average person.

Soldato
Gas for me. I like the ease and quickness of gas. Also smallish garden, which is surrounded by other smallish gardens... when the BBQ is on it's normally an optimal day to hang the washing up and get it dry... so less smokey clothes.

Also I have a (very old) Weber Genesis II 340... 17 years old in fact. Those things are indestructible if looked after correctly.

Saying that I can and do use Charcoal round friends house. I tend to always man the BBBQ.

Soldato
bbq isn't just about griling, you are forgetting low and slow.
I'm not, but for most people in the UK it is just grilling... and quite badly, if I'm honest. I'm no expert by any stretch and I refuse to even care about The Science of it, yet I seem to manage far better than the average without even trying... I doubt I have any particular innate skills, but it doesn't seem very hard, either.

Just because it was done hundreads of years ago doesn't mean they didnt know what they where doing or working on some pretty good equipment, they had far more know how that the average person.
But neither am I not saying that nor am I not saying that isn't not the case.... or whatever sounds like an appropriately clever double negative response. :p
That is to say, they knew what they were doing well before we had fancy modern BBQ tech and the principles have not changed. Therefore, you don't need a fancy BBQ these days and can do perfectly well if you can only afford the cheapy one... and to a certain extent, buying a cheaper one every year or two can be more cost-efficient in some cases.
Getting a fancy one because you want it is totally different and just as fine, but it's the same as how buying a top end gaming mouse won't make you a better gamer.

I tend to always man the BBBQ.
BBB-Q? Is that an exceptionally curvaceous kettle, perchance? :D

Soldato
Wood not an option? I love it out here in the Nordic region, wouldn't consider anything else given the flavour it creates and the atmosphere
Lump (pun intended) it in with coal.
I use mostly wood for the braai, where possible, although may buff it with coal if there are many courses and/or many people to be fed.

Back
Top Bottom