BCS CITP experiences

• Thread starter Deleted member 66701
  • Start date

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

I've just been informed that I am going to be awarded CITP from the BCS and I'm interested in other peoples experiences.

Has it been useful in your profession? Has it helped you network? Has it helped you change careers or opened doors?

All the above are shown as benefits on the BCS website, but then they would say that, wouldn't they, and I have a fundamental distrust of organisations that fit the "boys club" mould.

Caporegime
But isn't this is something you actively apply for rather than an award per say?

I don't really see that there is going to be much to significantly gain from this as plenty of people won't have heard of it - I think if you're an IT professional in say the engineering sector then Chartered Engineer status might be something worth getting, this seems to be a bit of a poor mans version of that.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

OP
But isn't this is something you actively apply for rather than an award per say?

Normally, yes. I'm doing a BCS CITP accredited degree which covers the academic requirements, but applicants still have to satisfy other criteria. However, Lancaster occasionally refers students who have satisfied certain criteria to BCS who make awards outright with no further assessment necessary.

I don't really see that there is going to be much to significantly gain from this as plenty of people won't have heard of it

Kinda my thinking. The only people at HP I recall having CITP were account executives/CDE's and above - none really at the grass roots level, so while it might help career progression to/through CDE that's not a situation I'll find myself in (nor want to). Having a look through my LinkedIn contacts shows it's more common at executive level rather than technical level.

I think if you're an IT professional in say the engineering sector then Chartered Engineer status might be something worth getting, this seems to be a bit of a poor mans version of that.

I think that's the aim of CITP - to achieve parity in the professions - or at least that's what the BCS website and the wiki page says.

The title Chartered IT Professional is aligned with The Skills Framework for the Information Age (SFIA), the UK Government backed competency framework, CITP is the benchmark of IT excellence and is terminal (final/top most) qualification in IT.

Criteria and requirements for chartered status in the UK have to be approved by the Privy Council and as such the CITP designation is on par with other chartered qualifications in other fields (such as the Chartered Accountant qualification awarded by the ICAEW).

Last edited by a moderator:
Caporegime
Well unless you're going to be actively attending their events etc.. I suspect you'll be wasting your money on a few magazines/letters you're going to chuck in the bin and some letters to put after your name that no one cares about.

I'd personally just save your cash and only bother applying for it if it actually becomes relevant/useful.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

OP
Well unless you're going to be actively attending their events etc.. I suspect you'll be wasting your money on a few magazines/letters you're going to chuck in the bin and some letters to put after your name that no one cares about.

I'd personally just save your cash and only bother applying for it if it actually becomes relevant/useful.

Well, it's paid for three years, so I might just accept it and not bother renewing.

Caporegime
not wanting to turn this into a load of back and forth posting but I was replying to the fact that you're getting it anyway for 3 years ergo won't you find out yourself if it is useful for you

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

OP
not wanting to turn this into a load of back and forth posting but I was replying to the fact that you're getting it anyway for 3 years ergo won't you find out yourself if it is useful for you

Well yes and no. I'd like to know if it's worth exploring certain avenues I haven't even considered yet, which I'm hoping others experiences might illuminate somewhat.

Back
Top Bottom