Beat this laptop price

Associate
AMD Athlon 64 4000+ (2.4GHz, 1MB L2 Cache)
- 1024MB Memory (2x512MB)
- 15.4" WXGA BrightView Widescreen (1280x800)
- LightScribe 8x DVD+/-RW&CD-RW Combo w/Double Layer
- Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition with SP2
- 4 x USB 2.0, 1x Parallel, 1x VGA, 1x Microphone, 1x Headphone, 1x Firewire, IEEE 1394, Expansion Port 2 connector
- 10/100 Ethernet LAN card
- 128MB ATI RADEON® XPRESS 200M w/Hypermemory™ (Dedicated, NOT Shared)
- 80GB Hard Drive (5400 rpm, 8MB Cache)
- 56K Fax/Modem
- Digital Media Reader (6 in 1) (xD, SD, Smart Media, Memory Stick, Memory Stick Pro, Multimedia Card)
- 54g™ 802.11a/b/g WLAN Wireless Internet & BlUETOOTH
- 8 Cell Lithium Ion Battery
- 3D Sound Blaster Pro compatible sound 16 bit integrated Sound Card
- Altec Lansing® speakers
- 101 key compatible keyboard
- 120 W AC Power Adapter
- 36.2 cm (W) x 28.4 cm (L w/o hinge) to 29.4 cm (L w/hinge) x 4.56 cm (H/Front) to 5.06 cm H/Rear), 3.4 Kg

My friend is disabled he needs a laptop it has to be as good graphics-wise this costs £899

AMD Athlon 64 4000+

Nice CPU, but battery life is going to suck on it. As the GPU isnt up to much, the only thing that CPU is going to be good for is encoding videos etc, it will be bottlenecked for almost any games.

I would seriously consider what he needs the laptop for, and base it around that, he should be able to get one with a slightly lower CPU speed, but better gpu for around the same price, which would still give him an increased FPS in his games.

If it were just for gaming i would expect a

"Asus Intel Pentium M 735 - XP Home (£874.14 Including VAT at 17.5%)" to be faster.

Last edited:
Lagmeister said:
Hypermemory is where the GPU shares some system RAM if it needs it, IIRC, pretty much the same as nVidia's Turbo Cache but on ATI chipsets

But what confused me is that the description says "Dedicated, not shared" :confused:

Lagmeister said:
Hypermemory is where the GPU shares some system RAM if it needs it, IIRC, pretty much the same as nVidia's Turbo Cache but on ATI chipsets

excellent, i had no idea what that was, but my new lappy that ive ordered seems to have it, hopefully it will be able to handle the odd game of halo and postal 2

gib786 said:
excellent, i had no idea what that was, but my new lappy that ive ordered seems to have it

Dude, that's not a good thing.
hsugh.gif

naffa said:
Just to confirm.. Hypermemory does mean it's shared with system memory.

ATIs hypermemory cards use onboard memory and shared memory over the PCI-E bus. On the X300SE for example it has 128mb of onboard memory addressed by a 64bit (slow) bus and a further 128mbs of memory is dynamically shared from the system memory over a second 64bit bus via the PCI-E bus. The shared memory helps to bolster the the slow onboard bus.

I had an ATI card with "dedicated" memory in my old laptop... it had 64Mb of it's own memory and then stole 64Mb from the system memory. I had an option in the BIOS to set how much system memory it stole though, from none up to the 64Mb.

Laptop sellers really need to clarify the way so called "dedicated" memory works :rolleyes:

Great spec apart from videocard, basically can't go much worse. That'll be a good DTR when you need desktop class CPU power, but battery life will suck. Gaming will be below average.

Go for another machine with lesser spec CPU but better spec GFX. Ie a Turion 2ghz with ATI X700 or X800.

Back
Top Bottom