bed alternatives?

At one point in time, humans slept on hard floors in caves or on some sort of Hay. A bad mattress will destroy your back, and sleep, ask me how I know!

Do what ever is best for your sleep habits.

At one point in time humans also ran away from dinosaurs, hit things with clubs, wondered where the big yellow thing in the sky went at night, and died before they were 20.

In summary, they weren't that smart so I wouldn't take bedding advice from them :mad:

This was on my Camino in Spain but to me it's too near the floor, spiders ect, bed legs help with that I think

Screenshot-2024-10-15-07-52-26-40-99c04817c0de5652397fc8b56c3b3817.jpg

I wonder if there's something to something less plush mattresses being good for you, but whether it requires a long adjustment period because your body has become used to the softness. Bit like barefoot shoes where it takes a few months before you adjust

Last edited:
At one point in time humans also ran away from dinosaurs, hit things with clubs, wondered where the big yellow thing in the sky went at night, and died before they were 20.

In summary, they weren't that smart so I wouldn't take bedding advice from them :mad:
I'm sure they weren't walking around with bad backs though, and the Japanese still do it, clever clogs.

Last edited:
This thread was inspired by the sleeping bag thread which got me wondering why we don't use a mat and sleeping bag in the house.

I've heard of Japanese putting mats on the floor, but not of anyone doing that in the UK.

So I'm wondering if anyone has, or has ever had, something other than a standard issue bed?

I'm also partly interested in this because of dust mite allergy, avoiding bedding and fabric in general would be huge if I found a good alternative.

They sleep on futons, mats are traditionally rice mats theres nothing special about them other than the fact they keep them and the house clean, you're expected to remove shoes at the entrance for instance

Last edited:

However from an evolutionary standpoint, humans have evolved over tens of thousands of years to sleep on the floor, so I evolutionary terms, our body hasn't yet had time to evolve further to account for the physical changes made by sleeping in a bed/mattress combo yet.

Back
Top Bottom