Been offered a job. Leaning to yes (currently jobless)

Caporegime
So had my. First job offer.
Feel package is OK. Salary is a tad less than I was on. Which obviously with way inflation is its a pay cut.

Job is with a consultancy.

Better:
-private healthcare
-consultancy experience
-Friday afternoon off
-1 more day holiday

Negative
-other potential jobs (not. Gone to offer) have been up to 50000 and this is 42500

I'm more yes than no. Just wondering about absolute salary. As from experience in my area moving jobs is what gets you the salary increase.

A side positive. I got 10k from my other job that I'm gradually eating into. Sooner I take a job the better in that regard.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
I guess if I do end up having to wait until after Christmas I'll have eaten up a lot of "savings" as must be getting close to that 'cut off' now.

Yeah I did hope for more. I think reason it's lower (well reason I've been told) is I don't have the experience in consulting.

Its Microsoft gold too.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
No bonus from the consultancy? I'd have expected something based on hitting utilisation targets etc.

As mentioned above, i'd usually expect Consultancy to be a higher salary than an "internal" role too, and £43k seems lowish too given i'm sure you've mentioned a decent job experience in other threads. I'd likely take it though, it's a great way to get loads of experience and likely progress quickly.

Apparently.
I've asked what this is as I've just been told there is a bonus. Waiting on details.

Caporegime
OP
Standard permanent positions I've been put forward for at usually 45-50. But obviously nothing is guaranteed and I'm only in stage 1 interviews (both pre and post stage 1).

Just heard back.
Bonus is small. Like. 2-3k. So nothing exciting there. Pension is also basic standard unfortunately too.

Its a tricky one. I'm leaning to yes. But also. Wondering what might be in some of the other processes I'm in.

Caporegime
OP
Don't look too much into the "We're a gold partner!!" tactic, as there are literally thousands of them. In fact, the gold thing doesn't even apply anymore as MS have changed the categories.

What area will you be consulting in? As others have said, defo push for a bonus; I haven't had a consultancy job that didn't come with a guaranteed bonus.

Heard this before about MS gold.

Yeah bonus is negligible really.

Caporegime
OP
I don't understand why you wouldn't? What would be your reasoning to not go for it? You can always quit if you find a better one next week.

This is true. Nothing stopping me just doing the dick move.

I thif the renumeration package was more 48-50 with good pension I'd be more "yes I want this". But it's all a bit lower than I wanted.

Caporegime
OP
What level are they bringing you on as consultant / senior consultant ?

For comparison I know the consultancy I work for would be paying a consultant with 2-4 years relevant experience around 50-55k plus 20% bonus. This is finance sector

It would be starting level. Here I believe it makes me a "consultant".

From the gist of it (and this is my main trepidation) that the bonus is same for most people. Ie you don't get more if you've worked there 2 years etc. It's all a bit 'loose'. I've not had the contract yet.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
There's another process also for a Consultant position where the company seems a bit better. This should wrap up this week. It sounds 'better' but obviously no guarantees with this one

Caporegime
OP
I've worked for consultancies with 10 people, and consultancies with thousands. The bigger the company, the worse the office politics (a huge negative for me as I hate office politics), but the better the pay. The smaller the company, the higher the workload, but you also feel like you're contributing more due to the size of the team, and it'll have a "nicer" feeling to it, almost a family/friends type of atmosphere. I've found smaller companies are also more likely to give longer term benefits to offset the lower salaries, such as % ownership in the company etc. None of that is set in stone but that's been my general feeling and experiences.

What is it you'll be consulting in?

BI developer and hopefully getting into the more engineering side.

Would be working with clients building reporting solutions on the Microsoft Stack. Leaning more into power bi/ssas rather than warehousing. But I suspect it will be fairly varied in a small consultancy

I'm a tad disappointed I don't really want it. I think with a better package.. Or a clearer path to a better package I'd be happy.

Having been caught out by false promises with jobs before. I'm more tentative than I'd like. But also concerned I'm currently without work. And this is work. And a step in the right direction (hopefully)

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Are you looking to branch into more azure work or Power Automate / Power apps work?

I've been seeing a lot of demand for simple power automate solutions to hook up a couple of point solutions and move data around without having to add in an expensive data warehouse.

Also the other benefit of consulting is you will build up your network and companies may want to poach you full time. Our company has seen a few power bi devs move to clients recently
Yes to both.

Just done a salary comparison between offer 1 and potential 50k jobs.

Its more than I thought.
400£/month is what I'm seeing after tax.

Tough one. Going to push for another day to decide.

Caporegime
OP
This for me, plus the fact they're a small company means the chance for further bumps (in my experience) in pay, are much harder to get.

I'd try and hold out for a better offer if it was me personally. If they're that fixed on the salary now, without even getting further increases in writing (I've joined before on X and promised in writing Y in 6 months, which was a small company and still a bitch to fight for after 6 months) it just sounds like you'll always be underpaid.

Yeah this is a fear.
It was a question I asked in my second interview and it was vague. Almost like when you have caught someone out.

I know from experience that in my field I have found it hard to jump salary within roles. And that employers seem to be reluctant to give big salary increases. All my salary increases have been from changing jobs.

Overnight I've actually moved more to wanting to delay this.
Perm roles I've been going for have had higher salaries. Initially I thought I would go for a lower salary to get in the door. However now I'm more thinking "this role seems underpaid, a consultancy should pay more than a perm"
Or at least have better perks.

This does not.
The matched pension is 3pc. That's the lowest I've ever seen. So another pay cut.

As mentioned the bonus is undefined and doesn't seem to be employee performance related.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
I actually declined the offer.

They wouldn't even move 2k upwards.
Maybe I regret it. But to reject what is quite a modest ask to me just made me even more apprehensive.

I didn't buy the line "but after a year you'll be on 55 if you do well" surely that's what a probation period is for

Anyway. Onwards

Caporegime
OP
Good. I was just about to post that you should decline.

You're getting a sense of what sort of salary is achievable so you should not settle for less, in doing so you'd be paying them to employ you in my view. Be honest and confident about your expectation to avoid time wasters.

The feeling you're working for less than you're worth (especially that much!) is depressing, and typically a reason why people leave jobs for a better offer elsewhere. It doesn't seem right to accept a job knowing you'll immediately be looking for another one. Not gonna get the stability you're looking for that way.

Just like gucci set the price of a ****** belt, you're setting the price on your time, you seem better if you cost more.

This was what position I came to.
I've been flooded with interviews. To the point I can't keep up so have taken a few days off putting my CV out.

I'd rather take a perm role for 50 (and they seem common here) than a consultancy perm for 8k less.

I didn't want to go in thinking I'm underpaid from the start. Too many red flags on this for me. Had same in my last role. Promised things verbally in interview that never came true. My instincts said not to take that. And it was right.

I have another one (one I would take) with a much better all round package. And that's what I think I'm worth. A decent bonus like others said that comes with working at a consultancy.

Also on look out for contract work.

So yeah no regrets on this one, even 8f I don't get the next as if I went for this one I'd always be wondering what I might have missed out on.

Feels like Internet dating this!

Back
Top Bottom