Been running a 1366 Xeon o/c to 4 GHz for ³.years...

Associate
And am now after a new board, Asus preferably full size ATX is ok, a CPU - I know I don't need an i9 due to what I do on the machine. Rip the occasional dvd and a bit of mining. I want to.o/c it so I've read that I need the Z monikered CPUs. I've got a 850 decent PSU so that should be ok. I want a 3070/80/90 whatever I can get my hands on. Please could you give me an idea of CPUs I should be running and what best strap on water cooler I should run(currently run a Corsair h80i )and that did an OK but not exemplorary job of keeping the Xeon below melt down temps.
Anything to think of re graphics cards connectors?currently my 980ti uses two X ,6 ports. Gonna get a m.2 for Windows and maybe one as a games drive.

Some pointers around the cpu would be most appreciated. if I've not been specific enough, I'll get back to you with further info if required.

It should be able to run 4k at high hZ Later on..

Budget 2k

Last edited:
Associate
I think you mean the K moniker CPUs? Ryzen is also hot in the cpu market but newer release is hard to find stock. Same for 3000 series you'll struggle with stock til next year most likely

For 4k60hz I'd say 3080/Ryzen 5600 or 3080/Intel i7 or i9

Associate
Could you possibly post a full spec sheet of your current build? Will help me see if there's other parts or compatibility to worry about

Associate
OP
So

Case - lian li tower server case atx.
Mobo 13 year old Asus rampage 3
CPU XEON 5670 clocked to 4.0 6 cores
24 gb ram
3 ssd'x
2 old hard drives on sata interfaces.
H80i cooler
980ti graphics card.
dvd writer.

Im after something that i can number crunch on, i do a lot of data manipulation in Excel from SAP and i obviously want to game from it. I was looking at the i5's but for a smidgen more i can get a i7 and id like to overclock it using something simular to the plug and play corsair h80i/100
I want to be able to play all games at 1440 / 4k when i get a new screen in ultra. I want a m.2 boot disk and probably a m.2 games drive :).

Thanks.
Budget 1500?!

Soldato
Associate
Do you care about high frame rates or RTX when it comes to gaming? What sort of games do you play? Are you planning to continue using your existing SSD's and if so, what are they?

Associate
OP
I play a variation of games from Ori, Battlefield to farming simulator, if RTX is going to be put into games from now on, might as well get a card thats capable and capable to a good degree hadnt i?
Yes i was planning on using the ssd's theyre a mix of samsung 840 pro and evo's. I've got a couple of magnetic disks that are fine as they are - just used to synch my one drive etc.. Id get a M.2 drive for windows..Samsung again i suppose?

Associate
OP
Maybe look at doing a build around the 10700k as that will give you some future upgrade options.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £755.43 (includes shipping: £10.50)

Can i overclock and what bolt on OC device would you use for this?

Associate
Any K series intel CPU overclocks. The 10600 can get up to 10900 performance and 5ghz just by overclocking. Noctua cpu coolers are very good if you want air. Your PSU should be fine but if it's 13 years old it may die with the wattage from a new high end GPU. Not sure if the h80i is still in good nick or not for that level of OC, again age would be a factor.

Those games probably won't get RTX. Battlefield V has it already though. If you really care about rtx then get a 3080, if you would rather have better FPS and not that fussed about it get a 6800xt.

If you're using your old SSDs and HDDs, do you have much space free on them? M.2 is just a form factor, you can get sata m.2 which is literally the same as your existing SSDs just smaller. Or you can get nvme m.2 which is faster but usually only useful for big read/writes like video editing. There's also pcie4 nvme which are even faster but the intel CPUs don't support them yet (ryzen does).

Associate
OP
I don't have much space left on old drives it's true. I could amalgamate content onto a bigger SSD. Would you bother going ryzen pcie4 nvme!?

I've just realised whilst playing bf v last night that it seems to power off randomly mid game too. So I will see if the fan is working on that then take a recommendation but a 850 should be ok shouldn't it ?

Associate
OP
Ive been getting overheating errors, so off i go to try and find some thermal paste - just to get me by till i get a new build, can i find it? Looks like ill have to see if BF V will work on my 1060 mobile graphics card haha.

Associate
OP
So far i've got to here:

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/inte...ocket-lga1200-processor-retail-cp-68r-in.html

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/asus...-lga-1200-ddr4-atx-motherboard-mb-6ee-as.html

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/cors...zen-tuned-ddr4-memory-dual-kit-my-4ck-cs.html

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/sams...-4.0-x4-nvme-solid-state-drive-hd-249-sa.html

Why is the nvme drive so cheap, all the others seem pricey and is the ram ok to fit into that intel board, its what someone suggested above?

A few questions if i may.
Will my corsair tx850w be enough to drive this and eventually a 3080
Many thanks
qmJNbnq

Man of Honour
Wouldnt this ram be for a amd
It can be used with Intel. Another vote for a 10700k. Yes you can overclock it but I largely find it a waste of time as it’ll overclock itself anyway to pretty much what you can do yourself. All you’ll end up doing is using more power, generating more heat, potential instability for a negligible performance difference.

Associate
OP
It can be used with Intel. Another vote for a 10700k. Yes you can overclock it but I largely find it a waste of time as it’ll overclock itself anyway to pretty much what you can do yourself. All you’ll end up doing is using more power, generating more heat, potential instability for a negligible performance difference.

Cheers, and whys that samsung intel nvme so cheap comparerd to others? I thought they were good - seem to be at bottom of price list? Also will my AIO H80 fit from my current 1366 chipset?

Cheers

Soldato
The nvme is cheap because it's only 250gb which is quite small. Bear in mind you can still get cheaper 1tb gen 3.0 drives though which in terms of speed vs gen 4.0 you probably couldn't tell the difference.

Associate
OP
haha, must wear my glasses.. thought it say tb.

Also will my h80i corsair cooler work on this socket? the old socket it ran on was 1366 or do i need a new cooler too?!

Back
Top Bottom