Beer in a bag...

Permabanned
My lovely parents brought me back a 'beer kit' from Cheltenham food festival this weekend, the Woodfordes Wherry Beer Brewing Kit.

As someone who's never brewed a beer in his life (or done any extensive research on the process), I was surprised how easy it seemed!

The bag comes with all the necessary ingredients already in it (minus the Yeast). It holds 25 pints in all. You start by pouring 3 pints of warm water in, give it a shake to help dissolve whatever's in there, add the yeast and then continue pouring until you're up to 25. Then you seal it, stand it and leave it for 21 days...

Got a bit paranoid later last night as it felt exceptionally firm to the touch where I assume it had begun to carbonate, so much so that I let a little bit of air out. Seemed fine when I woke up this morning.

Now just a wait! Can't imagine it's going to be exceptional. I'm certain I've tried this beer somewhere before on tap and it was barely carbonated then, more of a cask ale sort of thing. Exciting stuff nonetheless! Seems like it would make a great Christmas or Birthday present.

Anyone else used something like this before?

Permabanned
OP
You need an airlock or syphon the release the carbon dioxide otherwise it WILL explode.

The instructions state that the cap provided should be screwed on until it just about catches, which will then allow any excess of air to escape. Think I just got a bit paranoid last night.

Soldato
Woodfords Wherry is normally a very reliable kit beer and a good moderately hoppy ale. If you like a good bitter I'm sure you won't be disappointed, just b ecareful to keep everything sterile during bottling.

Associate
I have brewed Woodfordes Wherry before from a canned extract, its a nice refreshing bitter.
I suspect your bag kit will probably come out a bit more hazy but will taste equally as good!

Permabanned
OP
Woodfords Wherry is normally a very reliable kit beer and a good moderately hoppy ale. If you like a good bitter I'm sure you won't be disappointed, just b ecareful to keep everything sterile during bottling.

You don't bottle it. It's literally just a bag with a tap at the bottom xD

Permabanned
OP
@DrToffnar how long do you leave it in the bag for, because for bottled Wherry it's usually 4+ weeks before drinking? Also what happens to all the trub (sediment) from the fermentation?

21 days in all, though they state it can be left for longer, just no more then 8 weeks.

The tap itself sits about 4 inches above the base of the bag when it's standing, so I assume all the sediment just sits there?

I'll get some pics over the weekend :)

Back
Top Bottom