Beginner mirrorless camera suggestions

Soldato
Hey folks,

Keen to get into photography and have been trying to decide which mirrorless camera would be a good starting point. Not looking to spend a huge amount on it but also am happy to get something to grow into...

After looking at a few reviews the Sony A6000 or A6300 and the Olympus OM-D E-M10 III seem to be the front runners? Although having read the post on here the lens selection of the Sony doesn’t seem great?

Any further suggestions welcome!

Soldato
I'd go M4/3 with a Panasonic or Olympus as the lenses are compatible with both.
In terms of cameras I actually prefer Panasonic because the menu system on the the Oly's is a hateful piece of dung and I'm not into the retro thing that everyone loves, however in terms of IQ there is nothing between them.

There are also some superb budget lenses, particularly primes, depending on what you want which just isn't a thing on the Sony's and unless you buy full frame E-Mount lenses which cost a lot, then choice is pretty limited.

Soldato
I concur the above. I would go for the micro four thirds system. When upgrading, it is worth considering the full-frame Sony mirrorless.

I would avoid Sony's APSC mirrorless because of immature lens system.

Soldato
if you are learning to use a camera, I don't think you can do better than a panasonic/oly m43.

Panasonic has pretty much EVERYTHING you can want in a camera except good autofocus for video and low light performance.

Its lens selection is very solid. Grab the 12-60 kit lens, then sell it for 200-300£ and buy a second hand 12-35mm f2.8, then buy a 25mm f1.7 prime and a 42.5mm f1.7 prime and you will be set. if you need telephoto, grab a second hand 35-100mm f2.8. I don't think you can get a better yet cheaper setup for that money. Awesome image stabilisation, access to 60fps, flip screen and 4k.

Go Sony if you want really good autofocus + low light but can deal with everything else being crap. I personally wouldn't touch an A6xxx as they are likely to get an upgrade soon which will include fixing the over heating issue, fixing the crap battery life, probably an upgrade to the screen etc.

If you have £2k, grab a Sony A73 and go straight into full frame :D

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the good info guys. It def sounds like I need to look into the Panny. Altho I’m planning on doing a fair amount of low light stuff so if it’s not good at that it would be a problem.

Also def don’t have 2k!

Soldato
I've got a fixed lens Panasonic LX100 camera which is has great IQ and features but being limited to a certain focal range.

I am looking at the Panasonic G80 as an upgrade. It's an older model but has some very high end features including sensor stabilisation. I've have had a look at the Fuji XT20 too. Really torn between M4/3 and the APS-C sensors.

Caporegime
What kind of photography are you primarily thinking of?

You’re spoilt for choice really, you’ll have to weigh up portability, upgradability and video/low light performance.

Caporegime
I've got a fixed lens Panasonic LX100 camera which is has great IQ and features but being limited to a certain focal range.

I am looking at the Panasonic G80 as an upgrade. It's an older model but has some very high end features including sensor stabilisation. I've have had a look at the Fuji XT20 too. Really torn between M4/3 and the APS-C sensors.

G80 is still one of the best cameras in the m43 ecosystem. The EM1ii and G9 are too expensive, the new GX9 has some silly corners cut so the G80 still seems the best option until it gets upgraded to the 20MP sensor.

Soldato
OP
What kind of photography are you primarily thinking of?

You’re spoilt for choice really, you’ll have to weigh up portability, upgradability and video/low light performance.

Well I travel a lot and so am keen to get some landscape photos on my travels, as well as the views I see from the flight deck, which include landscapes, low light/night shots including the northern lights. I’d also be interested in trying some astrophotography at somepoint as well.

Because of traveling a nice small/light camera would be a bonus and it’s th bulk and weight of my Canon DSLR which puts me off from using it.

Caporegime
Well I travel a lot and so am keen to get some landscape photos on my travels, as well as the views I see from the flight deck, which include landscapes, low light/night shots including the northern lights. I’d also be interested in trying some astrophotography at somepoint as well.

Because of traveling a nice small/light camera would be a bonus and it’s th bulk and weight of my Canon DSLR which puts me off from using it.

If the bulk of your DSLR is an issue then the only mirrorless system that really makes sense is the m43 system. However, from your intended usage I would recommend a proper DSLR, preferably FF and that means a lot more bulk. Sony have a FF mirrorless, just don't expect to loose any bulk (in fact some of the lenses are heavier than Nikon/Canon equivalents).

So you really need to decide where you want to compromise and what is most important to you. I don't know what Canon DSLr kit you have but since you seem to think that is an issue I would suggest the photography side of things is less important than the experience itself so a small m43 setup is probably best, or even just a Sony RX100/PanasoninLX100 with a fixed lens. Otherwise decent backbacks and camera strapsm, and a positie attitude towards the results rather than worrying about carrying a DSLR is needed.

Caporegime

Personally I’d be looking at Olympus for that use as it’s live composite is good for astro and hires sensor shift mode can be useful for landscapes.

M4/3 isn’t a low light monster though, but there are some cheap primes that can help.

Soldato
OP
I currently have a Canon 40D with a 17-55 f/2.8 lens. The camera body was a hand me down from a friend and the lens seemed a good all round choice to start with. However the weight and size of it all means I rarely take it to work with me, or even out and about. Hence I am keen to have a smaller and lighter camera which will be easier to carry and have to hand.

I’m just starting out so I don’t need anything to be the best at what it does, just a good starting place!

Associate
I got myself the Olympus OM-E D 10 mk11 back in January and loving it! It's such a fun camera to use, the big burley knobs just encourage me to get involved with the camera, play around with the exposure settings and have fun. It's a pleasure to use. I did intend to go Panasonic but just preferred the feel of the Olympus when I got to handle them for real, so it's definitely worth getting yourself to a camera shop for a proper look. The kit lens (14-42) is average at best so I use a 25mm F1.7 prime most of the time which is great and have the olympus 12mm F2.0 on the way.

I had a canon 20D for years but found it too cumbersome and in the short time of having the Olympus I think I've learnt more than I ever did from the Canon, I can just chuck the Olympus in my coat pockets (just) so I find I'm taking it out with me even for a jaunt down to the coop!

As I'm pretty mush a beginner, thought I'd share my experiences!

Soldato

G85 then. Theres no other option but MFT if the DSLR weight turns you off.

Although a Sony mirrorless might look attractive due the size of the body, the sidz and weight off the glass is a completely different story. Fuji is very expensive and the glass is too. If you are budget conscious, the last time I checked Panasonic were most comfortably priced followed by Olympus.

<1k = Canon M50 or G85
2k< = Sony A73

I'd personally put up with the extra weight from Canon and probably grab an M50 for a bit better low light and much better video autofocus. But just check out the 35-100mm f2.8 panasonic zoom lenses size then compare it to an APSC/Full frame equivalent... if low size and usability is what you want, MFT is hard to beat. A G85 has weather sealing, great size, awesome ergonomics, touch screen, focus peaking etc.... !

As the old saying goes, the best camera is the one that is with you and if DSLR weight is putting you off shooting, then switch.

If I was starting out again, I'd get an A73 but its really really expensive compared to the MFT options. For the price of a A73, you can have a G85, 2 primes, an f2.8 zoom and a macro lens.

Oh yeah if you need video AF, panasonic will frustrate you a lot. But still ergonomically as a learner camera its unbeatable.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom