Beginning astro, which 2nd hand APS-C/FF & lenses to shortlist.

Soldato
I'd like to dip my toe and try my hand at some Milky Way shots. I'm looking to spend as little as possible (maybe a couple hundred £'s in total) starting out though I'd like to get passable shots that I can play and improve in LR CC.

What cameras/lens should I probably be considering? Thanks.

Last edited:
Soldato
There are loads of tutorials on YouTube on this subject - I briefly got interesting earlier this year. The lower end you can start with a mobile phone, then move up to a camera with interchangeable wide lenses that have a wide aperture and finally going up to a full telescope tracking system.
Finding an area with no light pollution is a major advantage, as is using software which shows a map of the night sky, which direction to face and what time you need to get into position.

Some useful links:
Youtube

Soldato
OP
You will need like a 24mm or wider and 2.8 and bigger lens.

something that can shoot iso1600 without falling apart.

£200 isn’t going to cut it I wouldn’t think...
I've been looking at the Sony NEX 5N/5T/7 and have seen this go with kit lens for just over £200 and sometimes much less.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
There are loads of tutorials on YouTube on this subject - I briefly got interesting earlier this year. The lower end you can start with a mobile phone, then move up to a camera with interchangeable wide lenses that have a wide aperture and finally going up to a full telescope tracking system.
Finding an area with no light pollution is a major advantage, as is using software which shows a map of the night sky, which direction to face and what time you need to get into position.

Some useful links:
Youtube
Thanks though I've got the basics of the process and have been using Photopills and Stellarium for a few years now. I'm just looking for entry level kit and glass. I've even seen how to build my own tracker but I will just be stacking ~15 images for now using Sequator.

Back
Top Bottom