Belkin Router disconnects when any connected device is shutdown or put into sleep.

Associate
Hi all,

I've ran into an issue while trying to fix an issue a friend was having. The original setup was as follows and worked fine except there was no wireless security.

Belkin ADSL2 F5D9630uk4A (modem not used - router only)
UPC/NTL Cable modem (plugged into the first LAN port).

The routers login page and address had been changed so the reset button was used - I logged in, setup the wireless security and then power cycled the modem, then the connected router and finally powered on and connected the computer.

This seemed to work fine, I could browse and connect to all web services. The problem is this:-

Every time one of the connected devices goes to sleep or is shut down, the router disconnects from the modem. The wireless connection to the router is still active as I can log back into it, but no web pages will be displayed until the router is powered off and on again.

The router is set to act as a DHCP server and all devices are set to obtain IP and DNS automatically.

I'm sort of baffled at the moment so any tips or even the slightest suggestion would be more than welcomed! :)

Thanks,

Phil

Soldato
If the Virgin modem you mention is just a modem and not a router then what you are trying to do won’t work.

For a router to work is has to be able to route traffic between the LAN side and the WAN side. As you have it connected there’s no WAN side and therefore no routing. It’s amazing that you’re getting it to work to the extent you describe.

Soldato
yup, it's not working properly because of how it expects to get internet traffic from the in built modem. Does it have an access point mode at all? In the long run, you'd be better off with an access point...

Associate
OP
Thanks guys - yeah it baffled me when I first saw the setup - but it was working fine, so threw me. I will just get the correct type of router and be done with it. :)

Cheers.

Back
Top Bottom