Bellway Homes

Soldato
As homebuilders go what are bellway like generally?

Anyone living in a new/newish bellway home?

Experiences/thoughts?

Cheers :cool:

Soldato
18 months into living in ours, generally been ok. Bit slow at some of the late stage snagging but not too surprising once they are off site.

Most of the sub contractors we've had in for bits and pieces of snagging say that Bellway are one of the best builders for quality out of the main nationwide companies.

Soldato
I don't own but have been in some Bellway homes and come from a construction & housebuilding background (though my experiece is in "high end" builds) - generally they're decent but much like all newbuilds the overall quality of workmanship varies massively by site. They are certainly of a better overall standard of fit and finish than Barratt at least

The best thing you can do is get as much snagging done as possible whilst they're still on site in some capacity even if it means stamping your feet a bit to get it sorted. Don't move in if there's anything at all you aren't happy with either, it'll be sorted pdq that way.

Soldato
Been in a few Bellway houses in my time, like others here, having worked in the building trade so I always look at new builds from the building aspect.

As Rodenal pointed you will always get good & bad trade persons, houses always seem well built, & designs are usually very good, certainly top end, when compared to other builders.

Seen one house, could have been Salisbury area, design was superb, had a nice size study set at an angle off the hallway.

They also offer a wide choice of upgrades, one house near Leeds I viewed, even offered a Home Cinema upgrade.:eek:

Last edited:
Soldato
Been in a few Bellway houses in my time, like others here, having worked in the building trade so I always look at new builds from the building aspect.

They always seem well built,but as Rodenal pointed you will always get good & bad trade persons, the houses design are usually very good, certainly top end, when compared to other builders.

Seen one house, could have been Salisbury area, design was superb, had a nice size study set at an angle off the hallway.

They also offer a wide choice of upgrades, one house near Leeds I viewed, even offered a Home Cinema upgrade.:eek:

Yeah some of the homes in our Bellway built estate (mostly the display houses) are nicely kitted out with full Sonos in every room, wirelessly controlled lighting (internal and external etc).

We got a good deal on ours, particularly since we were part exchanging our flat for a new 3 bed semi. Managed to get it fully carpeted, upgraded light fittings, upgraded kitchen with all new white goods and fully turfed along with an £9k discount even with the part ex.

Soldato
Yeah some of the homes in our Bellway built estate (mostly the display houses) are nicely kitted out with full Sonos in every room, wirelessly controlled lighting (internal and external etc).

We got a good deal on ours, particularly since we were part exchanging our flat for a new 3 bed semi. Managed to get it fully carpeted, upgraded light fittings, upgraded kitchen with all new white goods and fully turfed along with an £9k discount even with the part ex.

Just come in, Windle you had a good deal, also having a look at the Bellway site now,:eek:,I see they offer 'Bespoke Additions', to your build.

QUOTE:
Our extensive range of options help you to decide whether you want to upgrade the quality fittings we offer as standard or even choose to include additional items so that you can make your new home as individual as you are.

Last edited:
Associate
I came across this post in 2017 and purchased a bellway home on the back of it.

I would highly recommend not to do so. I have had a ton of problems such as concrete floors sloping outside of tolerance; holes in brickwork; chips out of all sorts of areas woodwork/brickwork/paintwork and a bodged house.

Every time they come out to fix something they make something else worse in the process and their attitude stinks. agree to do something; then wait in for them.. they dont turn up and say they never agreed to begin with.

Dont buy.

Soldato
I still like this from earlier thread ... add David Wilson to hall of shame

I am not sure how you confirm installed insulation is correct;
there were some recent problems on the Cambourne new builds west of Cambridge, I could not find the link, but this older link about David Wilson homes describes a similar problem I believe

...as an architect, I have some knowledge of the requirements of the Building Acts concerning thermal insulation. Seeking further information, I consulted the local Building Control Department and subsequently, the NHBC Inspection Department in York. I was staggered to learn that David Wilson Homes circumvent the usual requirement for a U-value of 0.45W/sq.m/deg C through the walls by using the ‘trade-off’ method of calculation rather than the usual elemental approach. In other words, you avoid the need to insulate the wall cavities by (theoretically) improving the insulation elsewhere. As a result, the U-value through your walls is only 0.7W/sq.m/deg C – the standard requirement of the 1976 Regulations – hardly a modern standard of insulation. The word ‘cheapskate’ springs to mind.

Soldato
I wouldn't live in a Bellway or David Wilson house because the company i work for is a sub contractor. :D:p In all seriousness, all the house builders are much of the same at the moment unless your going for a bit more up market. Persimmon is a stand out though, in that i probably would never buy from them.

Permabanned
I live on a new build estate with houses from all major developers. I've heard it all.

Personally, I got good workmanship, but poor (recycled/green) materials. I got it fixed eventually, but even then it'll never be the same material quality as an older house.

I don't regret it because I had to stop renting, and it's gone up massively in value. Buying a new build off-plan was really the only way I could do it at the time.

I live in a 3 bedroom house. IMO this is the correct size for 1 person to live in. There's no way I'd have a family in here - it's not big enough.

It is very well insulated, which is brilliant for heating costs in winter - but a nightmare for trying to cool down in summer.

As we're nerds - I got FTTP, and CAT6 throughout. Quite tough to find a really nice (aka village) house with a top end internet connection. Priorities :rolleyes:

The estate as a whole is a mixture of private and 'affordable' housing. Everywhere is like this now. We made a facebook group to try and build up the community we wanted - otherwise you get a 'them vs us' situation.

I know tons about this stuff, any questions just ask.

Soldato
It is very well insulated, which is brilliant for heating costs in winter - but a nightmare for trying to cool down in summer.
My mate lives in one which is sauna hot in everything but the depths of winter (if you can call a UK winter that) :p Plus its 50m from a dual carriageway so if you open the windows all you can hear is traffic 20 hours a day :rolleyes:

Associate
I bought a Bellway home back in March 2016 and only moved in this year March 31st. My opinion of Bellway is once they have your money they do not care about any delays and just keep on fobbing you off with excuse after excuse. We moved in 1 day before the hard stop date of April 1st.

My issue was I bought all of carpets/flooring and a few "upgrades" for the property which I was told was not refundable if I decided to pull out of the house.

The house generally seems fine few issues here and there but nothing terrible. Broadband took 3 months to go in due to Bellway not digging the wholes for it deep enough.

Overall I would not recommend them.

Associate
We bought a Bovis end of 2015, worse decision we have ever had. Constant stress and snags are still not all resolved.

Terrible customer service, constant lying and crap resolutions......

Previously I had an apartment from Bellway, it was fine, the one issue I had with windows they fixed next day.

Check facebook for any disgruntled groups etc to give you an idea of what could potentially be a common issue

Soldato
We bought a Bovis end of 2015, worse decision we have ever had. Constant stress and snags are still not all resolved.

Terrible customer service, constant lying and crap resolutions......

Previously I had an apartment from Bellway, it was fine, the one issue I had with windows they fixed next day.

Check facebook for any disgruntled groups etc to give you an idea of what could potentially be a common issue

It might be a different office to where you live but we always have the biggest list of customer care items from Bovis Homes South West, I think they try to rush the houses too fast and end up missing things or just doing them wrong.

Associate
It might be a different office to where you live but we always have the biggest list of customer care items from Bovis Homes South West, I think they try to rush the houses too fast and end up missing things or just doing them wrong.

Yup, from missing doors, leaving the kitchen extractor vent to feed into the cavity (They only drilled through inner course), no top soil under grass, missing toilet.... the list went over about 4 a4 pages.

I would never advise anyone to ever buy a new home from them, completely wrecked the experience.

Back
Top Bottom