Bellway Homes

Soldato
I just couldn't have a new build. Just the thought of plasterboard walls makes me cringe, chipboard suspended floors. No thanks.

Last edited:
Soldato
That sounds pretty bad!

At the moment, they aim to complete by the end of November/very early Dec.

I know they can be a risk, but I had virtually no issues with my current house - the fact there's no chain is a big bonus too! (and the fact the heating hasn't switched on since very early in the year too!)

Associate
That sounds pretty bad!

At the moment, they aim to complete by the end of November/very early Dec.

I know they can be a risk, but I had virtually no issues with my current house - the fact there's no chain is a big bonus too! (and the fact the heating hasn't switched on since very early in the year too!)

Hopefully they have changed their ways, which site is it?

I think they have stopped selling at our site now, as their show home is deserted.

Someone has just left a car outside it, with posters saying how bad Bovis are being for them, and advising them to visit the facebook group I mentioned earlier. This actually made me laugh quite a bit :D

Soldato
I always wonder will new builds last the test of time?

Depends what you mean by the test of time. Our house is 9 years old and is looking tatty.
Cracked rendering, new kicthen, new bathroom and ensuite tiles needed. Funnily enough, I'm meeting a plasterer tonight for some work which needs doing.

Soldato
You can spec tiling etc in the bathrooms.
Main area is the kitchen. ie. cupboards, worktops and flooring etc.

You can only do that if you're early enough. Quite often they have been spec'd already and you have to make do with it, or choose a plot with the design you like....if at all possible.

Man of Honour
I want to sell the house and move.

To get our house back to the standard it was when it bought it would cost us around £10k I reckon.

To be honest £10k to get a showhome finish sounds pretty reasonable to me, even £10k every 10 years. It's likely cheaper than moving and you'd probably have to spend the same or more refreshing older properties.

Our house is about 9 years old and looking tatty also but that is more about the fact we've got very limited time at home during the week due to commuting and a toddler wrecking the place. In terms of stuff that has deteriorated:
-Carpets are very worn in places (underlay showing through) and full of dirt thanks to our son. Need replacing I think but to be fair they were quite cheap carpets
-Valves have failed in 3 toilet cisterns meaning that it constantly trickles water, had 1 replaced but CBA to get the other two sorted yet
-After about 9 months we had a pipe pop apart above the ground floor ceiling which caused a major leak over the hall and lesser extent dining room (another factor why the hall carpet has seen better days)
-Fence panel has been replaced
-Few cosmetic cracks around edges
-Had to have a door shaved to stop it sticking when closing
-In the kitchen the fascia peeled off the side of the worksurface, luckily this was an edge that is largely obscured from view as it is right next to the fridge freezer. Also over the past year the edging round the kitchen sink has started to peel a bit (kind of like a loose thread on clothing)

When we get the time to do a good spring clean it actually scrubs up fairly well apart from the carpets so haven't really spent much money on it. Other than replacing those I don't think we'll do anything before selling it.
edit: should point out this isn't a Bellway home.

Back
Top Bottom