Bench advice please

Permabanned
Hey guys.

I want to purchase a new bench. My current one doesn't have anything to rest the barbbell on so I am pretty screwed when I want to up the weight I am bench pressing.

I've been looking at this one from Argos. I think it looks good ( http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produ...42284.Weight+lifting+and+exercise+benches.htm ) but I have a concern.. might just be the pic but it seems that the things you rest the barbbell on are very high. When the bench is flat will I be able to reach it to rest the barbbell on?

(Yes I'm on a budget)

Thanks in advance.

Soldato
The height shouldn't be a problem, if it's too low then you will have less control over the barbell when resting it. I have a similar size bench, I have long arms and the barbell rests are about 3/4 length of my reach. :)

Permabanned
OP
Asked this same question on another forum (a weight lifting one) and they told me the bench is crap and I'll soon outgrow it.

?

I know their goals are to become huge bodybuilders Ronnie Coleman style but mine certainly isn't. I just want to pack on some muscle.

Will this bench be suitable for me?

Soldato
Yeah, it can hold 120KG, so unless you are quickly approaching that sort of weight then I would say it's fine especially for your budget and aims. :)

Soldato
one thing that is a right pain of that bench is....

...if you look that the leg curl bit. The bar at the end of the bench sticks up. This means that you are limited to how far you can slide down the bench when lying down and bench pressing etc.

It can also mean when doing other exercises you are unable to get comfortable OR you end up arching your back!

Hope that makes sense.

I do have a very similar bench and have found it an annoyance.

Soldato
Violent-J said:
You'd be better off with an olympic bar and weights than barbell though.

Err..why? If he is on a budget and only wants to lift casually (is that even a proper term?) then why on earth would he need an olympic bar? And what does an olympic bar do that a barbell won't do? They are the same thing you know :)

To the OP..benches like that make me criiinge.Badly built and won't hold any weight at all but..anything that gets you lifting has to be good.Plus you'd be gutted if you spent £200 on a good bench that you only used for 2 months.

My advice? Buy that one.Buy it and enjoy using it.Then when and if you want to build serious muscle come back here to ask us what equipment you should buy :D

It's all about getting lifting and sticking with it.

Associate
# Barbell stands 120kg, leg extension 35kg.

While 120kg on the barbell stands should keep you going a while, I would imagine hitting 35kg on the leg extensions much sooner!

Soldato
Gavstar said:
# Barbell stands 120kg, leg extension 35kg.

While 120kg on the barbell stands should keep you going a while, I would imagine hitting 35kg on the leg extensions much sooner!

Since he is squatting, there is no need at all to use those leg extensions. Concentrate on the compound exercises like squats and lunges and he should be fine. :)

Associate
Linoge said:
Since he is squatting, there is no need at all to use those leg extensions. Concentrate on the compound exercises like squats and lunges and he should be fine. :)

Oh I missed the squatting part (in fact I still don't see it :confused: :D)

All the more reason to get a bench without that bit to get in the way! Though that would seem to be easier said than done in that price range.

Soldato
Gavstar said:
Oh I missed the squatting part (in fact I still don't see it :confused: :D)

All the more reason to get a bench without that bit to get in the way! Though that would seem to be easier said than done in that price range.

Damn, I made that part up then. lol :D :p Must have been a different thread.

Permabanned
OP
You are right though, I do squat.

I think I am going to buy it despite what people are saying in here. I'm not sure I'll outgrow it or certainly not as quickly as people are making out.

Also I have no bench at the minute so one of the best exercises, the bench press, is currently out of the question. That needs to be addressed.

Soldato
IwantanewPC said:

I think I am going to buy it despite what people are saying in here. I'm not sure I'll outgrow it or certainly not as quickly as people are making out.

Also I have no bench at the minute so one of the best exercises, the bench press, is currently out of the question. That needs to be addressed.

I have the York equivalent to that bench, and I took the leg and flye extensions of it because I only use it for bench pressing and concentrate on solely using compound exercises away from the bench for the rest of my routine. Go for it. :)

Caporegime
IwantanewPC said:

buy an exercise ball for now then, you can do dumbell and barbell moves.
save until you can buy a decent bench. as much as you think its not needed, it might be, and tbh, i would rather have something that can hold atleast double my body weight :]

Permabanned
OP
Are you suggesting I'm a fat bugger?

It can hold 200kgs (my body weight and any weights I wish to add).. I'm about 150lbs. So it can hold double my body weight easy.

Caporegime
well, im 115kg and push over 100kg, and im still cutting so not putting on any muscle mass.

fair enough your not as heavy as me, but as you grow you will get heavier and will use more weights, it becomes addictive, trust me ;]

Soldato
Morba said:
well, im 115kg and push over 100kg, and im still cutting so not putting on any muscle mass.

fair enough your not as heavy as me, but as you grow you will get heavier and will use more weights, it becomes addictive, trust me ;]

Happy birthday old man. :p ;)

Back
Top Bottom