Benchmarking for noobs

Caporegime
I'm finally upgrading my old 2500k with 8gb of RAMS and an R9 290, to a 5930k with 32gb of RAMS and 2x 980 in SLI.

I want to see the performance difference. Haven't benched in forever.

What's the best way to bench? I'd like single core CPU benching, multi core CPU benching, GPU bench and a whole system bench.

What are all the cool kids doing nowadays?

Soldato
Diddums you're so entrenched in GD you forgot to post this somewhere on the Hardware forum... Like Overclocking and Cooling maybe :o for shame!

Personally I like 3DMark for graphics and and a slightly granular overall bench. It's simple but it's helped me tweak GPU overclocking and stability test at the same time. Firestrike mostly and sometimes the newer Timespy.

Soldato
In addition to the above, Superposition is a decent graphics test. Heaven 4.0 too.

Two 980's? Well look at Mr La-di-da. :p

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Crap. I'm now benching the 2500k @ 4.4ghz after having just done it on stock clocks.

I'm dying to get to the 5930k but I've also got a 2600k lying here....

This is gonna get asspensiff isn't it :(

Man of Honour
Benching is so 3Dmark2001 though, just set a stable 24/7 OC and leave it be :p

Still got a 3770K at 4.4 here for the past 3 years or so. Fans all on 50% and it's as quiet as a laptop. Basically the ideal combination of performance and peace and quiet :cool:

Soldato

Still got a 3770K at 4.4 here for the past 3 years or so. Fans all on 50% and it's as quiet as a laptop. Basically the ideal combination of performance and peace and quiet :cool:
If its as quiet as my laptop then it would give my dyson a run for its money on noise

Soldato

I find that after an upgrade I always go through a short honeymoon period of benchmarking and overclocking. I don't know why but it has to be done.

Caporegime
OP
I find that after an upgrade I always go through a short honeymoon period of benchmarking and overclocking. I don't know why but it has to be done.

Same, it's probably some subconcious thing to justify spending £lol on new crap I don't need.

Anyway. Can't get the new system past 16gb of RAM. deets in motherboard forum if anyone knows about this stuff :)

Back
Top Bottom