1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Benchmarking Linux servers

Discussion in 'Servers and Enterprise Solutions' started by Cromulent, Jan 14, 2020 at 9:53 AM.

1. Cromulent

Mobster

I want to write a blog post comparing the performance of a couple of VPS providers, but I'm unsure what benchmarking tools to use on Linux. If this were a Windows desktop, I'd know exactly what to use, but I don't have any experience benchmarking Linux servers.

Could someone give me some pointers on what software to use?

2. Sp00n

Capodecina

Phoronix, Geekbench, Sysbench, Hardinfo would be a good starting point.

3. Cromulent

Mobster

Cool. Thanks.

4. Avalon

Soldato

Let’s start with the blatantly obvious: What exactly do you wish to benchmark? It’s the most basic bit of information that really needs to be provided to get a relevant answer, it’s omission also begs the question of why blog about something you seemingly have very little knowledge or experience of? Other resources already do a pretty decent job.

VPS and remote server benchmarks tend to fall into three basic sets, CPU, storage and connectivity/peering, depending on your audience, accepted norms already exist for comparison, rather than re-invent the wheel you probably want to spend a little time reading some of those before going further, as much for your own benefit as those who may read your blog.