• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Benchmarks vs reviewers at stock

Soldato
Due to the way modern CPUs boost clocks work it's impossible to do a 100% replication and produce the exact same result as another person's cpu did

Because of this, whether it's AMD or Intel, the general rule of thumb is anywhere between -10% and +10% is considered normal when comparing performance. If your result is 10% under, it's normal, if it's 10% over that's also normal. It is what it is and there is no point losing sleep over it

Last edited:
Associate
Due to the way modern CPUs boost clocks work it's impossible to do a 100% replication and produce the exact same result as another person's cpu did

Because of this, whether it's AMD or Intel, the general rule of thumb is anywhere between -10% and +10% is considered normal when comparing performance. If your result is 10% under, it's normal, if it's 10% over that's also normal. It is what it is and there is no point losing sleep over it
But shouldn't you be at max boost the entire time unless your cooling is weak?

Soldato
But shouldn't you be at max boost the entire time unless your cooling is weak?

Yes...that's why, using intel as an example, you can get better results at stock speeds with an undervolt, rather than doing a small overclock that sends your peak temps high enough to throttle.

Also bear in mind that something like cinebench will pin your CPU to 100% load for an extended period of time, so if the name of the game is better fps/gaming performance for example, it's a different type of load and cinebench scores should just be used as an indicator, rather than the be-all and end-all.

Soldato
Don't really want to reinstall Windows 11 as when I tried with the new system it hung at 84% at copying files for install. This was off a bootable DVD, so if I did try to reinstall again I'd probably try to install off a USB stick.

I had to restore my system from backup after I attempted that fresh install and consider myself lucky that I am up and running, solving that 84% hang might have been a nightmare.
Well I ran Geekbench V6 and I got a multicore score of around 13000, checked google and most were getting over 19000 with my CPU so I knew something was wrong.

Did a fresh install of Windows 11 off a USB stick and that got past 84% and installed fine, guess my DVD drive was at fault. Ran Geekbench V6 and got a multicore score of 20055...

vk1dZYU.jpeg

Also tried Cinebench 2024 and got a score of 2045, better than the 2003 I got with my old install.

r1HADn0.jpeg

Tried 3D Mark and that was about the same. So much as I didn't want to reinstall looks like it was the right thing to do.

Back
Top Bottom