Bending cat6 in backbox / faceplate

Associate
Hi all,

I'm just about to fit some cat6 face plates but wanted some input regardss how much bending of the cat6 I can get away with.

As you can see from the photos my cat6 cable is coming into the drylining box from the back but the faceplate connector is vertical. Will this bend in tje cat6 cable be ok of should I swap the faceplate for one that has the rj45 jack connection horizontal.

0f02d86218.jpg

0f1f973594.jpg

Thanks.

Soldato
If it's well secured on the other side of the wall I would just dispense with the cable tie, keep the cable straight and the punch down the wires without bending the cable.

Soldato
Personally I would remove the dry line pattress box, remove the bottom break out square tab and then you have more room for the Ethernet to have a gentle bend below the pattress box before it enters. This way you retain some slack in the Ethernet in case you ever need to re terminate the cable.

Looks as though you have a triple gang dry line box though so you'd need to turn the electricity off and remove the power socket faceplate too, in order to gain access to the dry line pattress box tab on the left.

Associate
OP
Personally I would remove the dry line pattress box, remove the bottom break out square tab and then you have more room for the Ethernet to have a gentle bend below the pattress box before it enters. This way you retain some slack in the Ethernet in case you ever need to re terminate the cable.

Looks as though you have a triple gang dry line box though so you'd need to turn the electricity off and remove the power socket faceplate too, in order to gain access to the dry line pattress box tab on the left.

Thanks for the suggestion. The problem is the cat6 cable currently runs though 80mm pir insulation directly behind the plasterboard so there is no way to re route the cat6 cable into the dry lining box.

Last edited:
Soldato
Thanks for the suggestion. The propblem is the cat6 cable currently runs though 80mm pir insulation directly behind the plasterboard so there is no way to re route the cat6 cable though the bottom of the dry lining box.

Ok, it just looked like the soft spongy insulation.

Doing the way it is at present means you're not going to have much room for error when you punch that down since you're only meant to remove a minimal amount of outer casing and you have no where for excess cable to go without it kinking.

Associate
OP
Bledd I 100% agree, I didn't realise you could get the mk euro face plates.

It's now wired in but I'm going to swap it out with an mk faceplate and get a better module just as you suggested.

The room is a garage conversion and originally I didn't plan on fitting a network socket. It was more of a last minute thing as there was already a hole between the garage and main house where my virgin coax cable runs but it was only just about big enough for 1 cat6 cable.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom