Benifits of good soundcard

Associate
Sorry guys, but ive got a really dumb question. Why do most people buy descent quality soundcards. Like i said its really a dumb question, but ive never had the urge to buy one...am i missing the benefit somewhere

Soldato
It depends how good your mobo sound is, but several points that could be advantages over it:

ability to support full EAX in games
surround sound output
higher quality sound output (so long as you have speakers to make this worthwhile)
low latency (often essential in music production, prevents the sound from the line in being outputted after a noticeable delay)
soundcard header allows connection to front panel ports (not sure if all mobo's can do this)

Certain cards are better for specific things too. Creative are respectable all rounders, but are mainly designed for games. Some cards will output higher quality, but may miss off EAX or surround output etc; depends what you need :)

Soldato
Add lower CPU usage to the list too, which can be helpful when gaming. We're not talking more than a few FPS mind you, but it's all worth having.

Associate
OP
Thanks guys

Pretty much what i thought. I dont get to play games much, unless wearing headphones (dont wake your three year old kid ;) ). Cpu overhead has also never been a concern of mine. I have however owned a soundblaster live and must admit the sound quality was far superior to the onboard. That was though a pure class a amp and good set of speakers though.

Might decide to get myself one for christmas to see if ive been missing out.

Thanks again

Back
Top Bottom