BenQ XL2411T Screen Tearing?

Associate
OP
I tryed fps_max 143 (1 frame below the monitors refresh rate, 144Hz) and it still plays up, all confusing me. Nearly gave up until I noticed fps_max 59 works, now I know that somehow it will work at over 60fps. :/

sg0

sg0

Associate
On counter strike source I've noticed very small amounts of tearing @FPS_max 240 but I had no tearing @FPS_max 120 and and @FPS_max 500. Bullet reg seemed best at 240 and above.

Associate
OP
Ah fair enough I will have a look and find out. Can it change on different games, also if the monitor is running at 144Hz it probably means that the game is set to 60Fps max.

Tom

Associate
OP
What a nob!
Just went onto CC and found that the whole time my monitor was running at 60Fps. -_-
Changed it straight away to 144Hz and noticed the difference instantly on the desktop and got well excited (sad I know, need a girlfriend!).

Now all games I play literally have no tearing with V-Sync off and everything is ridiculously smooth!!

Thankyou for your help everyone, happy times!

Tom

Associate
You will always get some tearing with V-sync disabled. Frame rate is irrelevant.
I am sensitive to tearing so tearing can easily be seen above and below the refresh rate. In fact, I can still see tearing at 300fps.

Tearing is more visible on faster-responding displays than slower-responding displays (tearing is most visible on CRT and LightBoost). This is because motion blur traditionally masks the tearing slightly, and also masks minor framedrops slightly, too.

Also, consistent frame rendering times reduce tearing significantly. This is because the longer frame rendering times results in moments of bigger-offset tearlines, which are easier to see.

Running at insane framerates (e.g. 300fps) with consistent frame rendertimes (lack of stutters), results in consistently tiny tearlines that are very hard to see, while keeping clear motion and minimizing input lag. For an example situation of consistent frame render times, 360fps yields three tiny-offset tearlines per refresh (Which can be harder to notice), compared to ~120fps which may yield one bigger-offset tearline per refresh (which can be easier to notice)

To reduce tearing, while keeping VSYNC OFF, try:
- Uncapping your framerate (let it run wild)
- Faster CPU to minimize stutters
- Faster GPU to minimize stutters
- Gaming mouse to minimize mouse stutters
- SSD to minimize gameload stutters
- Running games that is known to have very consistent output of frames with minimal fluctuations/variances between frames.

Tearing is very dependant on a lot of factors, but for people who are REALLY sensitive to tearing (and have the benefit of a CRT or LightBoost display, the clarity of the display will make it easier to see tearing and stutters -- increasing the importance of a sufficiently powerful GPU)

Soldato
LOL you had a 120hz screen and were running at at 60hz the whole time... That would explain it then...

I get horrible tearing on my 60hz screen without vsync, especially on CS:GO... I would have thought it would still be there on 120hz just not as bad? Because you are missing a frame which is 8ms at 120hz instead of 16ms at 60hz? So I guess that each frame skip would look half as bad as at 60hz but still be there?

How is tearing at 120hz without Vsync?

Last edited:
Soldato
LOL you had a 120hz screen and were running at at 60hz the whole time... That would explain it then...

I get horrible tearing on my 60hz screen without vsync, especially on CS:GO... I would have thought it would still be there on 120hz just not as bad? Because you are missing a frame which is 8ms at 120hz instead of 16ms at 60hz? So I guess that each frame skip would look half as bad as at 60hz but still be there?

How is tearing at 120hz without Vsync?

Just remember this is a 144Hz monitor and he's running it at 144Hz. It seems he isn't bothered by the tearing any more.

Back
Top Bottom