best 1.4 hatchback for under £3000

Soldato
its not a 1.4 however a pug 308 1.6 diesel from around 2011 era should be around the £3k mark

its an "eco" (dont laugh) diesel so £35 tax, practical, decent on fuel, low insurance, and enough performance to get you from A to B and not have a problem overtaking the odd tractor etc.

we had one for 8 years, only issue with it was a DPF but that was due to the previous owner only doing 3mile journeys for 16000 miles in it (it was my uncle so i knew the history)

not ULEZ compliant tho if that is an issue.

Last edited:
Soldato
I think the old pre-2010 Kia diesels are some of the last without DPFs. Those are usually cheap but check for rust as they can be really bad. Also cheap tax. Not ULEZ compliant either but if you rarely go inside it the cheap tax makes up for it.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Surprised the usual EV fanbois aren't trying to shove a used Nissan Leaf down your throat, maybe they're learning :D

Have you considered a used Nissan Leaf?

Associate
I had a 2001 ford fiesta 1.3 - total junk rotted badly at about 12 / 13 years old

Bought a 2006 Clio 1.4 - still have it, easily passed the MOT the other day. Is not rotten. Considerably better and more comfortable car than the Fiest in every way possible. Night and day a better car
Oof the ancient 1.3, those engines were very old in 2001, the 1.25 was the more modern replacement, better engine.
As a young driver I was named driver on 2004 1.4 clio, something like 40bhp on that fiesta! Nice little driver. Agree on the rust, my Focus' days are numbered.

OP, I would be tempted to save a bit while still using the Fiesta. Regardless of what you pick at £3000 it would be the devil you don't know and then a work commute in it.

Associate
At that price I'd just keep what I have unless it's totally broken, it's not worth doing a car swap at that price

There are some non expensive small displacements with ok performance that may satisfy you roff, like a 1.4 Polo Gti which has 180hp and 250nm torque, can pickup a 2012 model for between 4 to 5k
I like this suggestion... but advice anyone do their research on these engines, pretty sure they are the dual charged engines, turbo and super and reliability is..... questionable.

Soldato
Oof the ancient 1.3, those engines were very old in 2001, the 1.25 was the more modern replacement, better engine.
As a young driver I was named driver on 2004 1.4 clio, something like 40bhp on that fiesta! Nice little driver. Agree on the rust, my Focus' days are numbered.

OP, I would be tempted to save a bit while still using the Fiesta. Regardless of what you pick at £3000 it would be the devil you don't know and then a work commute in it.

The MK 3 Clio is a good improvement over the MK 2 i feel. Both are cheap cars compared to Audi or whatever but I think they designed a better car with the MK 3 onwards.

Man of Honour
nothing wrong with a £3k nissan leaf. I wouldn't recommend one to someone however as you have to go in eyes open to their limitations. not really main car material.
I just had a look on AT out of interest and this one comes with a really special added extra!
EXCELLENT RUNNER. TYRES, BATTERY, EXHAUST AND MECHANICS ALL IN GOOD WORKING ORDER.

Caporegime
My Peugeot 207 was 3k.
Not sure it would be now as bought it fitting covid.
I think its a 1.4 or 1.6.

Its been pretty good to be fair. And is faster than I expected.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom