Best 4K movies to watch

Soldato
I was amazed how the original star wars looked. Rogue one also looks and sounds great. As other have said it's the sound thats really noticeable

R3X

R3X

Soldato
id throw in 4K HDR, best so far I have seen is Pacific Rim 1, the HDR effects are best there.

Heard Aquaman is good also.

Streaming is hit and miss sadly, you cant expect the same quality or performance with 4K HDR from streaming services but I believe Apple 4K streaming are getting closer with higher level bitrates.

Soldato
id throw in 4K HDR, best so far I have seen is Pacific Rim 1, the HDR effects are best there.

Heard Aquaman is good also.

Streaming is hit and miss sadly, you cant expect the same quality or performance with 4K HDR from streaming services but I believe Apple 4K streaming are getting closer with higher level bitrates.

The DV IMAX versions on D+ of the marvel movies are better than the disc versions, bandwidth may be higher on disc but actual wow factor with expanded ratio and DV instead of HDR10 make them a step above.

Unless you have a Samsung TV with no DV

The old disc is better argument is getting old now, unless you do a side by side and freeze frame and look for discrepancies most won't notice especially as you mentioned on ATV that offer higher bitrate. However near black flashing on ATV spoils it all.

Last edited:
Soldato
Don't know why you think Black hawk down is poor it looks incredible.

My recommended list all bought and played on LG OLED/Oppo203 4k player

All john wick(2 looks the best imo)
Back to the future
Le mans 66
My fair lady
Dunkirk
Apollo 11 Doc
Schindlers list
The shining
Alien
Both Bladerunners
Total recall(Schwarzenegger)
Backdraft
Joker
All 7 batman movies
Stand by me
Gladiator
Full metal jacket
Last action hero
Top Gun
Close Encounters of the third kind
The Ten commandments
The Elephant man
In the line of fire
Spartacus
Saving private ryan
Apocalypse now
Jaws

Last edited:
Associate
Mission impossible:Fallout is a great 4K disc, particularly the IMAX sequences like the helicopter chase where aspect ratio changes to full frame.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
The DV IMAX versions on D+ of the marvel movies are better than the disc versions, bandwidth may be higher on disc but actual wow factor with expanded ratio and DV instead of HDR10 make them a step above.

Unless you have a Samsung TV with no DV

The old disc is better argument is getting old now, unless you do a side by side and freeze frame and look for discrepancies most won't notice especially as you mentioned on ATV that offer higher bitrate. However near black flashing on ATV spoils it all.

I checked into this just in case I was stuck in an old fashioned git mode, you are right its now reached a point where it probably does not matter we also probably don't view content 3 inches away from the screen to notice any difference.

Vincent Teoh who does a great job highlighted your point in his latest video perfectly actually its here:

He also suggested to look at HDR vs DV

He used Marvel films (my favourites) as examples.

Only negatives I can really see is that I still feel Streaming overall is tricky, for example if I want to watch the Spiderman films which lets face it are massive and important to the Marvel universe, you can't do this via Disney + yet, also not sure we get IMAX versions or not. Much of the TV series and Films id actually wish to watch are probably scattered across several streaming platforms also.

Perhaps one has to get all sources to truly enjoy still.

It is all rather down to personal taste isn't it? One man's meat etc. If you have not experienced 4k before then you are in for a treat. On quality screens, at first it seemed like the actors were in the same room as me. After a while, everything starts to look the same. Films, TV YouTube etc. It almost cheapens it. Pick your favourite film and get a 4k version.

Soldato
OP
It is all rather down to personal taste isn't it? One man's meat etc. If you have not experienced 4k before then you are in for a treat. On quality screens, at first it seemed like the actors were in the same room as me. After a while, everything starts to look the same. Films, TV YouTube etc. It almost cheapens it. Pick your favourite film and get a 4k version.

Yeah, the wow factor has started to wear off a little. It’s a bit of a shock when you switch from watching something in 4K to something in SD straight after (local news headlines in my case) and your eyes are assaulted by the SD badness.

Soldato
Currently watching Dune on 4k disc. OMG the sound is godly. Giving the new sub a good workout.

Dune is immense with DV and Atmos!

I finally convinced the missus we needed a TV upgrade at the start of the year so we treated ourselves to an LG OLED and have been working through a few films since. I have to say the original Alien is seriously impressive, especially considering it's over 40 years old. Gattaca was fantastic and The Green Knight looked stunning, just a shame I thought the actual film was awful. Unfortunately however, as part of the deal of convincing her, I told her the Greatest Showman is a reference 4k disc so now have to sit through that at some point.

Back
Top Bottom