• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Best 7950?

Soldato
I've had my MSI 7950 for just under a week now, and while it's nice and quiet at stock, the card becomes very loud and hot once I start clocking it.

Therefore I'm looking at returning it under DSR and trying out a different one - which would you guys recommend?

I'm interested in the HIS one as a few guys have said it's the best one - however I'm scared of that blower fan going crazy once the card is OC'd.

Soldato
OP
I have a 932 Advanced so I should be fine for airflow :) I don't plan on using crossfire either as I've had bad experiences with it in the past.
Are there any significant differences between the Sapphire 7950 OC and the Vapour-X?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
OK that's great, thanks for the info :)
I'll have a look into getting one when/if I sort my DSR out :D

Does anyone here have the HIS 7950? If so how does it sound under load when clocked?

Soldato
OP
Well if the OP does RMA a perfectly good card (raising the price for the rest of us) go for a VTX3D HD 7950 X-Edition. I have one here sitting at 1,200Mhz Core and 1,700Mhz mem @ 1.15v and is quiet and cool. Mind you a good 50%, mine included, suffer from coil whine so he'll probably RMA it again...

My card was hitting 85% fan speed at those clocks and was loud as hell - this is something that I didn't want and I've returned it under DSR (I haven't RMA'd it).
Keep crying if you want though, I don't really care.

Soldato
OP
I'm flip-flopping between the HIS and Sapphire, plan to get one now and a 2nd for CF later - any further input appreciated!

Will be OCing
Quieter the better

(They're going in a Cool Master HAF X)

I got the 7950 Vapor-X from Sapphire this morning - it's a great card :D

The fan barely spins up when gaming and I can't hear it over my case fans. Temperatures are great too - mine was hitting about 55C in the overclocked 950Mhz mode.

The only problem is that it doesn't seem to have voltage control :confused:
I have it stable at 1115Mhz on stock voltage and it just creeps over 60C in Heaven :)

Soldato
OP
Can't you move the voltage sliders in TRIXX?

Only one version of Trixx shows GPU Voltage (4.1.0), and even then it detects the voltage as 1250mV and moving the sliders does nothing. It's strange as I've read reviews of the card and the reviewers managed to overvolt it with Trixx.

Soldato
OP
Yeah it seems the 7950 Vapor-X is voltage locked - at least the one I have is.
So anyone who buys one should be wary of this.

I asked Sapphire about it and got this as a reply:
"Dear Sir:
We recommend you use CCC of power control function."
:rolleyes:

Soldato
OP
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom