• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Best 7950?

Soldato
I've had my MSI 7950 for just under a week now, and while it's nice and quiet at stock, the card becomes very loud and hot once I start clocking it.

Therefore I'm looking at returning it under DSR and trying out a different one - which would you guys recommend?

I'm interested in the HIS one as a few guys have said it's the best one - however I'm scared of that blower fan going crazy once the card is OC'd.

Permabanned
Gigabyte Windforce, but remember that it exhausts into the case, so you'll need decent extraction and I have no idea how it will handle in crossfire. Or the Sapphire vapor X will be another good option.

Soldato
OP
I have a 932 Advanced so I should be fine for airflow :) I don't plan on using crossfire either as I've had bad experiences with it in the past.
Are there any significant differences between the Sapphire 7950 OC and the Vapour-X?

Last edited:
Associate
Well the "blower" on the IceQ is a huge step up from the reference type fans. The radial fan is raised up and away from the PCB and both sides are open and look at the honking big heatpipes. Honk Honk. All the reviews I can find say it's quieter than a lot and cooler than most.
OeVAP.jpg

Had an unsavoury time with a HIS card years ago which turned me off the brand.

OcUK handle the whole HIS Warranty

Associate
Here's the better view of the raised up fan and shroud. Simple but brilliant idea, really. Side on the card is lovely to look at too, it's just the top down/face I'm not thrilled about.
Olm7Fl.jpg

About the overdue, when I ordered it it said the 31st. I'm going to assume it's just a late delivery and it will be in on Monday.

Soldato
OP
OK that's great, thanks for the info :)
I'll have a look into getting one when/if I sort my DSR out :D

Does anyone here have the HIS 7950? If so how does it sound under load when clocked?

Associate
I read and listened to the videos in the review below - comparing 6 7950's and went with the Asus . Nice ,big, card and to me quiet enough (I only hear it before windows starts and ,occasionally , when gaming & even then it's not too intrusive).:)

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-7950-review-benchmark,3207-12.html

I also have heard that the Asus PCB is of 'standard' design - assuming that this is true then it should be straight foward to watercool/add a non-standard cooler.

Associate
I've had my MSI 7950 for just under a week now, and while it's nice and quiet at stock, the card becomes very loud and hot once I start clocking it.

Therefore I'm looking at returning it under DSR and trying out a different one.

That's not a valid reason to RMA a graphics card. You've said it's absolutely fine at stock. I hope OcUK (or else where) tell you where to RAM it.

Back
Top Bottom