Best all round diy water based gloss

Soldato
I've used Wickes colour @ home, quick dry, water based satin paint throughout our house that needed total renovation. It looks great once applied although does take a few coats! The kitchen has been painted for just over a year now with absolutely no discolouration, still bright white.

Associate
OP
I got fed up of looking and no stock of dulux Ecosure so bought the Leyland fast drying gloss from screwfix.

Bloody awful, I don't know if I'm doing something wrong but there's brush strokes all along the banister (So much so you can feel them).

I'm not happy with it so I've bought a Harris brush from screwfix too for a fiver, I'll be sanding it all down and giving it another coat

Associate
I am watching this thread with interest, as I hate the smell of spirit based paint ,I hate the preparation and hate painting. I also have a XXXX load of glossing to do.
Always found water based gloss to be difficult to get smooth myself.

Associate
OP
I may just go back to using johnstones aqua tbh, even though it may yellow it won't be as drastic as oil based. At least I could use the stuff

Associate
OP
The Leyland gloss works lovely on doors, just not so much on the rest (been using a foam roller).

I'm starting to learn how it reacts and managing to get a good finish now, half way through the tin

Associate
OP
Okay, so my new carpet got fitted today. My skirting has been torn apart.

I sanded all woodwork, 1 coat Leyland acrylic primer undercoat and 2 coats Leyland fast drying gloss.

NOT durable and doesn't withstand knocks. It's had a week to cure before the carpet went down. Not happy at all.

Soldato
It's not full gloss but this stuff is brilliant.

It's waterbased, covers well, is easy to work with and stays white.

That's good to know.

Got a big 2.5l tin and painting all skirting and window sill in the house using it.

Only thing I didn't like is it can be quite watery, but coverage and finish seems good. Would recommend this if you don't want a high gloss finish.

Associate
OP
The dulux and johnstones water based have alkyd in them. This makes them a hybrid, they actually have oil within.

They will yellow over time but will flow much better.

Back
Top Bottom