Capodecina
Soldato
Long, long ago I used to use AVG Free on my PC, then I recommended Norton or McAfee to commercial users. I eventually turned to Kaspersky based on recommendations from seemingly independent sources. I gave that up and went back to AVG when Mossad and the CIA came up with the conspiracy theory that it was spying on users.

I have now been asked to recommend something to someone whose system was recently infected with a virus.

I downloaded and experimented with six AV packages earlier today and couldn't see an obvious willer.

BitDefender seems to be the favourite choice at TechRadar with Norton (which I have disliked for years for no particular reason) and Kaspersky getting mentions as well.

I dislike the fact that all the AV software seems to slow down a PC and they all encourage you to install something else (e.g. a Password Manager, a Browser, a VPN, etc., etc.)

What do you recommend?

Man of Honour
Microsoft Defender is all I think almost anyone really needs. The only reason to use anything else, for me, would be to take advantage of the extra features you say you don't want.

The reason you've disliked Norton is likely through word of mouth, as they went from being pretty much the first and last word in their field to being system hogging garbage that every high street retailer tried to shoehorn in as an extra, however seem to now be recovering their reputation again.

Soldato
AVG for me for years, personally I like the software that is core software. Their other stuff like system performance and tuneup crap not bothered with but their core security software been great for me. It'as also saved my bacon multiple times from downloaded software

Associate
Use the built in stuff that comes with windows and adjust your browsing habits.
you never need to run scans. just let it download its updates and do its thing.
Ive used most of the above solutions at some point over the years. They all installed crap, bloat or fubared the system in there own special way.

Associate
I use Kaspersky Total Security, albeit at a much reduced cost.

Personally Windows Defender is good in conjunction with some good browser plugins IMO, should be robust enough if you're prudent with the websites you visit/do not click links embedded in emails. Pretty standard stuff TBH.

Soldato
If you must have one beyond what Windows offers built-in now, ESET or Kaspersky, personal preference for the former(sucks up less resources if you use just the AV and not the full on security suite), but both work great in my experience.

ESET has personally saved my ass(and family's) a couple of times, and they're nice on discounts for repeated renewals, so i'm gonna be a touch bias on that count.

Don't use one these days, only really need additional AV for the peasant relations still struggling with copy and paste.

Back
Top Bottom