BEST ASUS ROG X570 BUDGET

Associate
Looking for a Strix x570 can i please get some advice where should i point at on a budget 250-300, looking to use 2x m.2 ssds as well.

thank y ou

Soldato
I would recommend the Strix F actually, the key difference is the E supports SLI and actually has an SLI license aswell. But the F does support proper 8x8 PCI-E if you want to use 2 slots, for example if you wanted to put a dual NVME SSD card in the other slot and sacrifice some PCI-E lanes direct to the CPU from the GPU, you can do that with both. The only real reason to buy the E over the F in my opinion is just if you want to run SLI ...and who does anymore?

Oh I should probably have said, I assume you ask about the Strix boards because you like the aesthetic so little point in talking about others, but, if you don't intend to run multiple PCI gen 4 nvme drives and or you don't need full PCI gen 4 connectivity from more than just the top PCI-E slot then frankly you don't need an X570 board at all, go with a B550, the B550 Strix F is nice, there is a Strix E in B550 aswell, again with SLI but that one is starting to get sufficiently expensive I'd probably just buy the X570 E at that point anyway. But the B550 F ...yea nice board.

Last edited:
Soldato
None of those Asus boards has good chipset cooler with design straight from anus of brand hype marketroids:
- Actual heatsink under marketing excrements is small.
- And hence relies on constant airflow from fan (constricted by more marketing BS) to actually do good job.
- With whole crud put into worst possible palce directly under graphics card to be bathed in its heat.​
So put there high end graphics card and chipset will be running hot in gaming sessions.
And should be easy to guess what happens when fan wears out.
Ther's simply nothing to defend in such break down timer design.

Properly designed X570 boards have real heatsink farther from heat of graphics card and can run it passively for as lnog as you have working case cooling.
For example £200 Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite beats brand overhype Asus boards.
And MSI has even bigger chipset cooler in X570 Tomahawk.

Associate
OP
So my options are between the strix and crosshair models (as im building an all rog build)
Anyway my only concern is that i wanna run 2 m.2 ssds and i want a board that can support it because i heard of some boards that are powering their second m.2 slot through the main pcie that we are using the gpu on.

Soldato
The second M2 slot will go via the chipset in the vast majority of cases, the difference with the B550 and the X570 is that the second M2 slot can support gen 3 only on B550 and it will support gen 4 like the 1st slot will on X570. It could disable a short PCi-E x1 slot to do it, or a couple of SATA ports but it wont take from your main x16 slot.

Basically, if you are using 2 nvme SSD's, which I have been for years myself and you are only using the primary PCI-E x 16 slot then you should be fine, it 'may' be disabling some of the SATA ports or a PCI-E x1 slot to do this, you would have to look in the manual to actually know that though.

Associate
OP
The second M2 slot will go via the chipset in the vast majority of cases, the difference with the B550 and the X570 is that the second M2 slot can support gen 3 only on B550 and it will support gen 4 like the 1st slot will on X570. It could disable a short PCi-E x1 slot to do it, or a couple of SATA ports but it wont take from your main x16 slot.

Basically, if you are using 2 nvme SSD's, which I have been for years myself and you are only using the primary PCI-E x 16 slot then you should be fine, it 'may' be disabling some of the SATA ports or a PCI-E x1 slot to do this, you would have to look in the manual to actually know that though.
Thanks a lot mate

Associate
None of those Asus boards has good chipset cooler with design straight from anus of brand hype marketroids:
- Actual heatsink under marketing excrements is small.
- And hence relies on constant airflow from fan (constricted by more marketing BS) to actually do good job.
- With whole crud put into worst possible palce directly under graphics card to be bathed in its heat.​
So put there high end graphics card and chipset will be running hot in gaming sessions.
And should be easy to guess what happens when fan wears out.
Ther's simply nothing to defend in such break down timer design.

Properly designed X570 boards have real heatsink farther from heat of graphics card and can run it passively for as lnog as you have working case cooling.
For example £200 Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite beats brand overhype Asus boards.
And MSI has even bigger chipset cooler in X570 Tomahawk.

X570 Aorus Elite chipset heatsink is not that much better, few degrees does not make much difference. Also, many people have some stability issues on the whole Aorus lineup unless you are lucky to get an improved 1.2 revision which is very hard to get.
It's also missing postcode, has only 1st PCIe x16 Gen4 from CPU (other is Gen3 from chipset), and few other things.
Asus ROG Strix B550-XE I can see as a much better option than x570 elite.

I would go with Dark Hero If I want to get the best X570 or X570 Master rev1.2 as 2nd option If I could find it.
If I wanted to go a cheaper way it would be ROG Strix B550-XE or eventually ROG Strix B550-E (XE is an improved version of E).

Asus F X570/B550 variants and other boards losing too much stuff and at least for me, postcodes, Bios Flashback, and perhaps one intel NIC are bare minimum requirements for 200+ EUR boards.

PS: I am currently using X570 Master rev1.0 and ordered Dark Hero this week, though the price I got is a bit cheaper at 390 pounds or 323 with tax deduction. Master will go towards the new build for Wife instead of the originally planned ROG Strix B550-XE.

Last edited:
Soldato
X570 Aorus Elite chipset heatsink is not that much better, few degrees does not make much difference...
It's also missing postcode, has only 1st PCIe x16 Gen4 from CPU (other is Gen3 from chipset), and few other things.
Asus ROG Strix B550-XE I can see as a much better option than x570 elite.
Aorus Elite achieves those chipset temps without need to keep fan constantly running.
That makes chipset cooler lot better than in most X570 boards relying on fan under heat of graphics card.
Also X570 boards are all fully PCIe v4.
Post code is sure missing, but there's both Intel NIC and also BIOS Flashback.

While that insanely expensive B550 board has second M.2 slot available only by disabling two SATA ports and PCIe x16_3 shares lanes with x1 slots.
With PCIe v3 that means only 4GB/s of total bandwidth for those three slots.
And because of its position PCIe x1_1 is actually blocked by pretty much all high end graphics cards and you have either only one slot for all 4GB/s or with x1 slot in use 2+1 GB/s.

Again PCIe v4 X570 Aorus Elite has 2+2 GB available alone from those x1 slots with x4 slot offering 8 GB/s.
B550 is simply out leagued by X570 in IO, no matter which way you try to twist it.

Associate
Aorus Elite achieves those chipset temps without need to keep fan constantly running.
That makes chipset cooler lot better than in most X570 boards relying on fan under heat of graphics card.
Also X570 boards are all fully PCIe v4.
Post code is sure missing, but there's both Intel NIC and also BIOS Flashback.

While that insanely expensive B550 board has second M.2 slot available only by disabling two SATA ports and PCIe x16_3 shares lanes with x1 slots.
With PCIe v3 that means only 4GB/s of total bandwidth for those three slots.
And because of its position PCIe x1_1 is actually blocked by pretty much all high end graphics cards and you have either only one slot for all 4GB/s or with x1 slot in use 2+1 GB/s.

Again PCIe v4 X570 Aorus Elite has 2+2 GB available alone from those x1 slots with x4 slot offering 8 GB/s.
B550 is simply out leagued by X570 in IO, no matter which way you try to twist it.

x1 slots are more or less useless, for the majority of cards you need x4 slot at a minimum unless you are a miner.
Sure 2nd PCI-e slot on Elite is Gen4x4 from the chipset, but the 2nd slot on B550-E is Gen4x8 from CPU directly, so Elite loose on this point
B550-E has 3rd slot Gen3x4 from the chipset and no 3rd PCI-e x16 slot on Elite.

Yes, Elite has 2x M.2 gen4 slots, but you can simply get 3x Gen4 x4 plus Gen3 x4 SSD using an extender card in 2nd PCI-e slot on B550-E.

Not to mention current Gen4 M.2 SSDs hardly exceed Gen3 speed so I don't have a problem with 2nd M.2 limited to 4GB/s.

X570 might be better chipset, but implementation on Elite limits its benefits and largely limits you in what you can connect to board.

Also, the automatic dual bios feature without the possibility to control it unlike Master or Extreme do, Elite, and other lower-end Gigabyte boards is troublesome when a problem on a post happens and the board decides to switch to other bios without you knowing about it.
Had it Happen on Master until I disabled it, you cant disable it on Elite.

Soldato
x1 slots are more or less useless, for the majority of cards you need x4 slot at a minimum unless you are a miner.
Sure 2nd PCI-e slot on Elite is Gen4x4 from the chipset, but the 2nd slot on B550-E is Gen4x8 from CPU directly, so Elite loose on this point

Also, the automatic dual bios feature
That second slot of B550 boards steals its lanes from main slot limiting graphics card to same bandwidth as in PCIe v3 slot.
That's not something high end gamer should accept.
And for other users there are lot more capable X570 boards at that price level.

Also there are other things than graphics cards.
PCIe v4's 2 GB/s would be enough for plenty of things.
(say 8 port controller card for HDDs)

Aorus Elite doesn't have any dual BIOS.
Stop neglecting B550's limits/IO problems while inventing imaginary ones for X570.

Associate
That second slot of B550 boards steals its lanes from main slot limiting graphics card to same bandwidth as in PCIe v3 slot.
That's not something high end gamer should accept.
And for other users there are lot more capable X570 boards at that price level.

Also there are other things than graphics cards.
PCIe v4's 2 GB/s would be enough for plenty of things.
(say 8 port controller card for HDDs)

Aorus Elite doesn't have any dual BIOS.
Stop neglecting B550's limits/IO problems while inventing imaginary ones for X570.
Ok my bad about bios, but what I described is a common issue with most gigabyte dual bios boards.

No 2nd slot does not steal anything, it works exactly the same as on any x570 mobo, it either runs x16, x0 or x8,x8 if you want to use both.
Show me any x570 motherboard that can do more than x8x8 if both slots are used.
2ndly on Gen 4 there is zero difference in FPS if you use 8 or 16 lanes, on gen3 you can get maybe 3% hit in some games.

Now it's you making imaginary issues.

No, 8-port SATA controller needs way more than 2GB/s (6gbit/s x8 is 6GB/s), and also you can't fit it in x1 slot as they are made with x4,x8 or x16 physical interface even if they use fewer PCI-e lanes, that's why those physical x1 slots are mostly useless.

Associate
Unless you get a dark hero, there are better boards.
I agree that there are better boards, Dark Hero and x570 Master being best reasonable ones.
My point was that I consider B550-XE as one of the best B550 boards and I also think it's more universal and I consider it better than X570 Elite

Because I have and sometimes use 8port SAS/SATA controller (PCIE gen3x8) or PCIE x8 M.2 extender when I need to copy/clone some data from other PCs.

I simply do not consider x570 boards that do not have 8x,8x PCIE options or postcode and in that case, B550-E/XE is much better than Elite as it offers variability that Elite simply cant.

Soldato
I agree that there are better boards, Dark Hero and x570 Master being best reasonable ones.
My point was that I consider B550-XE as one of the best B550 boards and I also think it's more universal and I consider it better than X570 Elite

Because I have and sometimes use 8port SAS/SATA controller (PCIE gen3x8) or PCIE x8 M.2 extender when I need to copy/clone some data from other PCs.

I simply do not consider x570 boards that do not have 8x,8x PCIE options or postcode and in that case, B550-E/XE is much better than Elite as it offers variability that Elite simply cant.
Never considered B550 to be honest, no one needs PCIe 4 anyway. Hear the Unify X is good.

Associate
Never considered B550 to be honest, no one needs PCIe 4 anyway. Hear the Unify X is good.
I don't know, never considered that board, removed it from the list to consider because of only one PCI-e slot from CPU, and looking at it now, 4x M.2, but B550-XE is still better and can get 6 M.2 drives (expander included), and it's slightly cheaper.

Soldato
Ok my bad about bios, but what I described is a common issue with most gigabyte dual bios boards.

No 2nd slot does not steal anything, it works exactly the same as on any x570 mobo, it either runs x16, x0 or x8,x8 if you want to use both.
Show me any x570 motherboard that can do more than x8x8 if both slots are used.
2ndly on Gen 4 there is zero difference in FPS if you use 8 or 16 lanes, on gen3 you can get maybe 3% hit in some games.

Now it's you making imaginary issues.

No, 8-port SATA controller needs way more than 2GB/s (6gbit/s x8 is 6GB/s), and also you can't fit it in x1 slot as they are made with x4,x8 or x16 physical interface even if they use fewer PCI-e lanes, that's why those physical x1 slots are mostly useless.
All x570 boards can have both nvme slots used without affecting x 16 gpu its only when you use some of the 3 slotted x570 boards the gpu goes down to 8x

Back
Top Bottom