best bang for buck cpu and mobo help please

Associate
hi im looking to upgrade my pc in the next month or so,im currently running a i7 6700k with a maximus hero viii mobo,so atm im just looking for a cpu and mobo as i have ddr4 which i can upgrade at a later date unless i move to ryzen then i would need ram too as its only 2133mhz

so what would you guys go for,i got a budget of about £900 and it will be mainly for gaming,i know the 6700k is a still a very good cpu for games,but the missus needs a better pc than what she has atm for photo editing so she will be having my cast off :D

o/c would be nice to so it gives a little head room if i want to push the cpu a bit

cheers

Man of Honour
My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £788.46 (includes shipping: £10.50)

if just for gaming, 9700k is sufficient.
ryzen is better for longevity, but current gen ryzen is outgunned by intel in gaming.
shop around for the best prices though. ocuk taking the absolute mickey as you can get this combo for ~£100 cheaper elsewhere.
also, the cooler is a hefty beast (and 165mm tall) so change it if you don't have room in your case.
also make sure that your PSU is up to scratch

Soldato
At the moment any new CPU is "Damned if you do, damned if you don't" choise:
  1. You either pay gross overpricing or literal arm, both legs and half the internal organs...
    For something which likely has zero prospects for holding high end status/value long and is certainly total dead end in upgrade choises.
  2. Or you don't get any improvement except in multithreaded loads and struggle to match current single thread performance...
    But get upgrade path to something likely pulling the rug from under Intel's CPU lineup and dumping them into hole in a ground.

Intel's 6th gen Skylake rebrandings have the advantage.
But not because of Intel having done any real advance or good job, but simply because AMD has been stuck with badly clocking originally Samsung's phone/tablet CPU manufacturing process.
Situation which is going to change soon completely.

Also architecturally improved Zen2s due for release at summer are made on TSMC's node more modern than used by Intel.
AMD demoed in CES engineering sample matching 9900K's processing power at ~50W lower system power consumption.
So AMD was likely holding it back, even if TSMC's node hasn't matured from last year.
Further "chiplet" design rumoured in December got confirmed, with shown CPU package having empty spot the size of another 8 core "computing die" chiplet
And AMD hinted another push in cores/processing power per money.
So that 8 core/16 thread model is likely going to be £200-250 CPU, with hundred more getting 12c/24t.
While 9900K's price level likely gets 16c/32t monster, finishing shredding to pieces what's left of 9900K after 12c/24t.

Myself would take upgrade path choise with reasonably priced 2600X as temporary CPU.
There's been already enough of that PC Cash Cow Race situation in DRAM cartel prices and prices of graphics cards.

Man of Honour
whilst i agree waiting for ryzen 3000 is the best choice - this is likely to be 3-4 months away, and probably 5-6 months, unless OP wants to pay the etailer price gouge early adopter tax.
if OP has to buy within the next month then the choices are pretty much set, unless he's willing to upgrade (again) within the next few months, and take a hit on the resale value of the cpu

Back
Top Bottom