Best base type for log cabin

Associate
Afternoon,

I'm looking at getting a log cabin - a 10x14foot one (maybe slightly bigger or smaller - but around that size) in 44mm wood from Tiger Sheds (not sure on weight but presumably fairly heavy!). What I'm trying to decide is what sort of base to put under it - the way I see it as I'm on a slight slope I can do either concrete or timber on concrete blocks, but I can't really decide which. I've got clay soil.

What would you do?

Cheers.

Soldato
My cabin is 14' x 9', 70mm timbers and is on a 200mm steel-reinforced base. I originally specced 150mm, but the builder went overboard. Hasn't moved at all in the 10 months it's been down for. It cost £1200 for mine.

Associate
Have you taken a look at Tuin as a company...ive just looked at Tiger Sheds and for the money they've almost £300-400 more expensive than an equivalent at Tuin...44mm 12 by 10ft Log Cabin.
I helped build one last week, theyre exceptional quality and free shingle tiles on most log cabins they sell.

This one was a 3m by 3m corner log cabin and we made a base from concrete slabs after digging foundations.
The guy said to my friend that you can live in that cabin and the floors insulated. It looked great.

Associate
OP
Thanks everyone, confirmed what I thought really that a poured concrete base with bearers laid on top is the best way forward rather than just dig down and use paving slabs/concrete blocks with bearers on top of that.

I have read that Tiger sheds how to build a Base page but it doesn't really help with deciding between which Base type to build...which was more my question than how to build one...it says 'for larger buildings'.. but they sell much larger buildings than the sizes I'm looking at which is why I was wondering if I could get away with paving slabs etc!

Thanks again for the help.

Associate
OP
Have you taken a look at Tuin as a company...ive just looked at Tiger Sheds and for the money they've almost £300-400 more expensive than an equivalent at Tuin...44mm 12 by 10ft Log Cabin.
I helped build one last week, theyre exceptional quality and free shingle tiles on most log cabins they sell.

This one was a 3m by 3m corner log cabin and we made a base from concrete slabs after digging foundations.
The guy said to my friend that you can live in that cabin and the floors insulated. It looked great.

Sorry only just seen this - they do look really good and after looking at Tuin again I'm tempted...they annoyed me when I first looked as I thought the same as you, then that £3-400 gets added on when you want a floor! Free shingles and most are double glazed as standard that I'm looking at certainly is a nice bonus...thanks man.

Man of Honour
People (generally) wildly over spec foundations for timber buildings. I've erected 10x8 sheds on timber bearers alone with zero issues. For a log cabin I think I'd probably go concrete, but I wouldn't go spending a fortune one some earthquake proof slab.

Associate

I have built this bad boy on original slabs that was laid when the house was built, its got some weight in there as well and it as not budged. depending on the surrounding soil i would not rule out slabbing if it was done correctly at the end of the day drives are done with slabs ;) but any how mine was brought from Edenpods in Lancashire £1250 and payed £100 for rubber roofing will never again have to worry about the roof in my lifetime. 3m x 2.1m x 2.4m Height

Good luck

Back
Top Bottom