Best Budget Coffee Grinder?

Associate
Hello chaps, I was hoping someone could give me some advice about coffee grinders.

I have a Hario slim hand grinder that does what I want very well but limits the amount of coffee I can grind in one go and it would also be nice if I could get the grinding done faster.

I am aware that there are a lot of rubbish grinders out there so the question is: Is there a decent electric burr grinder around for ~£50?

The grinder that seems to come closest is the Cuisinart DBM8U Auto Burr Coffee Grinder but there are some mixed reviews.

At the moment I only brew with aeropress and moka pot but I would like to be able to brew with an espresso machine in the future.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Soldato
if you are looking for a grinder that will eventually move onto espresso you want to be starting a minimum of with the Ibertal MC2 which is currently £114 http://www.happydonkey.co.uk/iberital-mc2-grinders/

the problem is these are screw adjusters meaning to move from one grind to another isnt a simple job... especially if you are dialled in for your current espresso bean.

maybe pick up a decent cheap burr grinder for your aeropress and pick up an espresso suitable grinder when you get an espresso machine, no idea on these im afraid - the De'Longhi KG79 is currently just over £35 and has decent online reviews.

another alternative is to pick up a Rancillo rocky or baratza preciso which are both very decent espresso grinders but are stepped so easy to switch from espresso to coarser grinds very quick.... these are around the £300 mark so i would do some more research first as you may find a preferred alternative.

Caporegime
I use a Rancillo rocky and really like the results, although if you start playing with the grind and go too find it has a tendency to jam, a quick shake upside down tenss to free it. And this only happens when yo set a grind too fine to make a good espresso so it isn't an issue.

Associate
OP
I, unfortunately, don't have the funds to buy anything like the Ibertal at the moment.

The thing that concerns me about getting grinders in the £30-£70 price range is that a lot of the reviews feature people complaining about a lack of consistency and issues with the grind not being fine enough. I realise this is probably the case with espresso grinds but would this be an issue for the brew methods I have mentioned?

In Siliconslave's espresso thread the Dualit burr grinder is recommended but the current price is a little higher than it was at the time of the thread being written. Would paying extra for that grinder get me something that the cheaper models don't give me?

Thanks again for the help.

Associate
Basically the lower-end electric burr grinders are good for anything except espresso machines.

If you decide to move onto a full espresso machine then you'd probably want to start looking at the £100+ grinders like the MC2, as they have better consistency at finer grinds.

I think if you like pure coffees like americano then you can be really happy with just a £30 grinder like a Krups/Dualit, a £20 aeropress and some good beans.

Associate
OP
Ended up getting the Dualit for £60.

Thanks for all the help.

I'll probably look at second hand MC2 type grinder when the time comes. What is the best way of going about getting a second hand grinder?

Soldato
coffeeforums.co.uk have a lot of good advice in general when looking into a new machine/grinder as well as a for sale section that have a fair few MC2's pop up when they move onto the next level of espresso grinder.

Soldato
Ended up getting the Dualit for £60.

Thanks for all the help.

I'll probably look at second hand MC2 type grinder when the time comes. What is the best way of going about getting a second hand grinder?

You can't go wrong with the Dualit tbh, I have one and I absolutely love it. The grind is really good and you have a nice range of adjustment on it too. I use it mainly for my AeroPress, but I've also used it for my Espresso machine and Cafetiere and I've always had a lovely cup of coffee :)

Associate
OP
The Dualit arrived today which was really fast. I don't know if its just me being daft but the grind size doesn't seem to actually change? Not noticeably anyway. The cup produced from a moka pot was great though so I'm not panicking

Associate
coffeeforums.co.uk have a lot of good advice in general when looking into a new machine/grinder as well as a for sale section that have a fair few MC2's pop up when they move onto the next level of espresso grinder.

This.

I've got a starter setup with a Modded Classic and MC2, combined with some fresh beans and you are away.

Just remember to buy freshly roasted from a reputable supplier.

I'm on CF and their advice and help has been great. I'd have given up on my Classic without them.

Back
Top Bottom