Best buys for PS2?

Soldato
Besides the usual suspects, I'm going to go out on a limb and recommend Stuntman. I used to love it, despite it being so infuriating! Reviews seem to suggest it hasn't aged well and it's 15+ years since I've played it, but it's something different.

Soldato
Primal is a great exclusive, weird dark setting.

Red Star is a bit of a hidden gem. Sort of beat em up mixed with a bullet hell shooter. Pretty unique.

The Suffering. Good fun kind of mindless third person shooter and still plays well. Not scary but has a cool setting/ideas. Plays like max Payne movement and gunplay-wise

Freedom fighters. Third person shooter with quite a cool story premise. Mixes in squad based elements too.

Associate
OP
Mr Mother in Law was visiting last week as I was checking a few fresh buys and told me she has a spare PS2 and loads of games in the loft I can have! Superb. A back up PS and potential treasure trove of games.

Have to admit, having never played any Rachet and Clank games, I'm loving my first play through of the first in the series.

Associate
The Lord of The Rings games were immense on PS2. Also quite enjoyed Dynasty Warriors 3 back in the day. Syphon Filter and Splinter Cell were also fantastic on PS2.

Caporegime
Bully or Canis Canem Edit by Rockstar is quite fun, it's like GTA but more PG13 and set in a New England boarding school:

Do yourself a favour and collect NTSC PS2 games.
Once you go 60hz there is no going back to 50hz.

AFAIK that is rather game dependent, it doesn't have to matter much for 3D games, technically PAL has a higher resolution so could be better in some cases.

It is the older games, in particular 2D games where the game frequently essentially just gets slowed down and squashed for the European PAL market.

Associate
Just going to give some of the games I always enjoyed, I don't have a clue how they stand up now.

GTA
Medal of Honor
Timesplitters
Red Faction
Tony Hawk
Socom
Jak & Daxter
Silent Hill
ManHunt
Enter The Matrix
Path of Neo
The Lord of The Rings