Best / Cheap mobile Wifi/HotSpot = ?

Soldato
This is a little issue that has been one that has killed me over the last couple of years.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

>>>> Scroll down to ignore my usual rubbish sback-story

I have been in Glan Clwyd Hospital most of the time, but now I am in BroadGreen in Liverpool.

The Wifi is disgusting.

And I do mean its almost a total waste of time.

In Glan Clwyd, they have finally sorted it out and their Wifi is actually pretty impressive, but Liverpool is shockingly disgusting.

I am at the moment, using my mothers little device, its a HUAWEI white thing and uses a 3 sim and she has this on conract. It does, or rather did have a 15GB cap, however, I have used that up, and so she has enabled uncapped for me ( Thanks mum - love you hehe, Im spoiled? yes, yes I am! ).

Now, before this happened, and while I was in Glan Clwyd, before they sorted their Wifi out, mummy bought me a cheap pay as you go dongle, its a TMobile and we thought that should be fine as I was only due to stay in for another week at the time, but even though it had a supposed 3 Months free on it, it meant 1GB a month and it was also capped at 1GB too! - what a crock of rubbish that was... I even put another £20 onto it to give me another load of data, but it forced me into some weird free texxts for 30 days plus 200 minutes and only 500MB data, so later on that hour ( yes, hour ) when my data run out again, even though I had loads of money left on the sim, it was only for data or phone calls and the sodding sim was bought inside the dongle???? - I took the sim out a few months after that and used the credit in a phone just to get my moneys worth, I was disgusted that much... Its bad enough that they have a disgustingly small cap of 1GB but to then charge me for somethign that I cannot use, was just shameful of them.

Needless to say, I have not bothered with tmobile since.

Now, my current mobile phone is with Vodaphone. I have just been with these ever since my first ever mobile phone and indeed I am using the very same number that I have done for well over a decade now. Im happy-ish with vodaphone and my data is also 1GB as part of my contract, but again ,when using my phone asa hotspot, it disappears quicker than Gary Glitter when a kid comes along.

I have asked them to up my contract to allow me an extra 2GB and so that should be 3GB. I have also setup a limit of 3GB using my mobile phone so there is no way that I can go over the 3GB and it has been great, however, I have had an email from Vodaphone about my bill...

My bill for this month, and lets not fool ourselves here, my bill has been floating about the £28-£35 mark... Never going over £35 a month because I dont use data or the phone that much, only tests and por... erm games, and any and all updates are WIFI only, and I have only been in hospital for 8 days when I got the bill for Vodafone... It is £588!!!!!

Yup five hundred and eighty eight poundy-woundies.

Needlesss to say that this has got to stop.

I am now on the lookout for a dongle or a wifi that I can use, only while I am in hospital. I dont NOT want a contract because I may go for months between each hospital visit. I may fancy using it once in a blue moon sure, but I need it to be PAYG and I need it to be such, that every penny I load it up with, will only be used for the data and not as tmobile was doing to me, and setting it for texts and phone calls.

There are a few dongles I have seen and some are PAYG and someare contract, or both, but can anyone give me their views on any one or another and so that I can have options to help me decide what will be best for me?

I am not going to lie, I want to be able to watch tons of youtube, ebay, emails and all the usual stuff cos I am bored as hell, so I will be going through lods of data.

Anyone?

Soldato
OP
Well Im not sure?

I dont want any contract because I only need the use, while I am in hospital.
For example, I am coming out this week, probably thursday, hopefully wednesday, but in truth I recon friday ( I hate it when I have to wait for things that are out of everyones control ) and while I have a few days here and there with Physio and outpatients, I am not going to be staying in again for about 8 weeks.

I then have a procedure that may put me back in for under 1 week and then there will be nothing ( providing things go well ) for 6 to 9 months before my next step in the procedure.

I dont want a contract where I will be paying for nothing.

Hence PAYG

Now, you say £20 a month. plus £19 for the device for 10 or 20GB

As I said earlier, 10GB over a month? Thats not going to last me more than a few days FFS and my mothers device she is paying £15 and has for only a fiver, upped that to unlimited and uncapped and so thats a silly amount that I am happy with, but its a contract.

I am more looking for PAYG but something that I can put on money as and when I can be bothered, so that by teh time I coem to need it, I will have a whole load of internet time thats not going to kick me off when it hits a certain cap.

Im not doing anythign naughty or illegal, but I want full freedom to actually watch a load of movies or TV over the internet as is surely my rights, without being murdered financially by these theives.

Soldato
OP
Jesus, that does sound good.

There is an EE shop in our local town.

While I am not going to all that mobile when I get out, I will sure as hell go and have a chat if nothing else!!!

It does show you though doesnt it? - They can easily give you a load more than they do right now... Its clear that they are keeping their data low and their prices high as hell so that dumb prats like us will simply fall for it all and think we are getting a nice deal.

What is even more shambolic, is that my parents half live in the UK and half in Turkey ( They are only staying over here to sell the house, but its a huge house and no one is buying ) anyway, the point being, is that even in turkey, practically a third world country, she has fibre broadband FREE!!!! - it comes as part of her TV / phone / Broadband deal and it works out at just under £7 a month

SEVEN quid a month!!!

And look at the price we shmucks are paying over here?

Makes me puke, and its out own fault.

I just wonder... If we all stopped all our contracts and stopped using mobile phones etc, how long will it be, before they start grovellign to us, and letting US dictate the terms?

Sorry Im ranting now... So would you if you knew just how much my bill for this month was... Just for using the phone as a mobile hotspot for my laptop in hospital.

Back
Top Bottom