Best cloud backup provider

Soldato
Who do you all use?

Considering using my new server to store acronis backups, I want these mirrored to the cloud...

So far I've found

- Acronis True Image Online (250GB) - £3.95 / month
- Dropbox (50GB) - $9.99 / month
- JungleDisk (10GB) - $5 a month + $0.15 p/m for each GB extra

What solutions do you all use? True image is fantastic value for money, but I intended to run a linux power server, and dont have true image linux...

At present, I'm leaning towards JungleDisk as it's backed by Rackspace. Dropbox is $1 cheaper per month @ 50GB storage.

Mainly influenced as of late due to HDD costs, and the maintenance issue of my own assets, cloud hosting gives me better protection from loss so seems the way to go.

Last edited:
Soldato
You’d need to be careful uploading Acronis backups to the cloud. A minor local incremental change could result having to re-upload the entire backup image.

Soldato
OP
You’d need to be careful uploading Acronis backups to the cloud. A minor local incremental change could result having to re-upload the entire backup image.

Aye, I intend to do incremental backups only. That's why Acronis seems to elegant, as it's the client and backup service together... They don't however do True Image for linux, only backup and recovery (£800 ish).

Probably grab a linux backup tool, then write a few scripts to push updates or something.

If anyone has tried the above services, I'd love to hear what they are like. Due to have 6Mbit upload soon, so want to make use of it.

Soldato
I’ve used JungleDisk for 12+ months without any problems. I just use it to backup my project source code stored on a 2003 R2 server. It does a good job with the de-duplication of files. The email reporting is simple but effective.

For my main server I use Mozy, but this is mainly due to its VSS support for Exchange and SQL Server.

They’re both fine, but if I had a lot of data I’d need to find alternatives due to the cost.

Soldato
I use Sugarsync.
Free of charge upto about 5GB (you pay for anything about that amount).
The software "syncs" to your folder, so any changes you make to your folder, will automatically be refected in the cloud.

Should you accidentally delete some items from your folder (or perhaps if your HD dies), the files are still available in the cloud (in the deleted items folder).

I've been using their system for the last 6 months (free version), with no issues and their software works flawlessly.

Soldato
So guys, sounds actually an interesting idea - what about smart phones? Can I have something where I store into a "special folder" and it syncs then its viewable on my phone+vice versa? been meaning to sort a solution. Windows 7, Linux machine too but not that important it can access storage - just phone etc

Soldato
Have you considered renting a server/space in a data center? Most backup software simply allows you to point to a remote drive anyway.

Surely though this would cost big money?

An online mass market backup system like drop box or similar will be the cheapest solution.

Soldato
I use dropbox and they're great. Block level client as well so smart enough to know when a single file has incrementally changed. I also find they're "public link" feature really useful for sharing large files with friends.

Soldato
Which is cheaper our of dropbox or gotabackup?
Dropbox seems more expensive (for the non-free version).
DropBox (50GB): $9.99/month.
gotabackup: £2.99/month

Unless dropbox are offering something extra that I can't see, I would go with gotabackup.

I use sugasync and get 4.5GB free.
Its been working nicely for me, for the last 6 months.

KIA

KIA

Man of Honour
Dropbox is more of a sync solution, not backup.

gotabackup is a service recommended by a guy hoping to cash-in. Avoid!

Soldato
Just because somebody has used an affiliate link, does not make the service itself bad.
I've never used gotabackup before, but the prices seem reasonable to me.
Sugasync (which is what I use), gives about 5GB free.
So, my advice would be to give that a try, for free. If you want more space, you can pay for it.

Drop box seems too expensive, compared to what Sugasync are offering.

Soldato
don't look at crashplan, it was suggested to me in a previous thread, I downloaded and tested it out... all worked fine... when I came to purchase it their system refied to sell it to me because I was in the UK ( even though their web site says they sell to the uk and have uk data centers)

I emailed their support 3 x asking about the issue purchasing their software they ignored all 3 emails!

Top Bottom