• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Best cpu for gaming

Caporegime
I'm not sure why some on here are so quick to dismiss Intel. If you want to get most of the potential out of the box and run stock + EXPO for a gaming system then get the 7800X3D. If you do not mind tweaking or want better multithreaded perf then go for the Intel chip :) Either system should last long enough that the 'dead platform' shouldn't be that big of a deal. But if you do want an upgrade path then obviously AM5 is the right choice. Price difference not that much overall and efficiency can be tuned if required.
I am using the 7800X3D myself and it is a great gaming chip but it has its limits. I am hoping the gains on Zen5 (X3D) will be enough to justify an upgrade.

You're right, and Intel CPU's are a very long way from bad, i had an FX 9590 back in the day so i know what a bad CPU is, i've been Intel > AMD > Intel > AMD swings and roundabouts....

I shouldn't be so dismissive.

Man of Honour
I'm not sure why some on here are so quick to dismiss Intel.

14th gen was generally pretty mediocre to bad really, the penny pinching PCI-e 5.0 support is pretty meh as well, but people seem to massively overlook the 14700K.

Personally think the power efficiency and heat side of it is massively overblown though it isn't great - once you include GPU and the rest of the system components the efficiency gains of something like the 7800X3D are more in the region of 10-30% despite the CPU part of the equation being quite a big difference. In gaming I'm rarely over 150 watt or so for the CPU and temperatures in the 70s with an air cooler set to silent profile.

I've not held much to upgrade paths, chances are more often than not by the time it comes to upgrading something bigger and better comes along, or soon does, which renders your upgrade obsolete anyhow.

Last edited:
Caporegime
i'm trying to remember now.....

Pentium III, :)
Skt 478 Pentium 4, 3.2 Ghz with HT, i remember that CPU with so much detail because..... it was memorable for all the wrong reasons. :mad:
Skt 939 AthlonXP 3800+, detailed memory for all the right reasons. :)
Athlon64 X2 5200+. :)
Phenom II X6 1090T. :)
FX-9590. :mad:
i7 920 (Bloomfield) :)
i5 4690K. :)
Ryzen 1600. :)
Ryzen 3600. :)
Ryzen 5800X. :)

The journey continues...

Last edited:
Soldato
i'm trying to remember now.....

Pentium III, :)
Skt 478 Pentium 4, 3.2 Ghz with HT, i remember that CPU with so much detail because..... it was memorable for all the wrong reasons. :mad:
Skt 939 AthlonXP 3800+, detailed memory for all the right reasons. :)
Athlon64 X2 5200+. :)
Phenom II X6 1090T. :)
FX-9590. :mad:
i7 920 (Bloomfield) :)
i5 4690K. :)
Ryzen 1600. :)
Ryzen 3600. :)
Ryzen 5800X. :)

The journey continues...
Oh, so you're pretty new to all this then :D

*feels old*

Soldato
On the topic of best CPU I think we're quite lucky at the minute where there possibly isn't a right answer because both Intel and AMD have some very decent CPU that will do the job well and as long as you get one of the higher tier ones you're probably gonna be fine.
But as per humbug's list, in the past we've rarely had this level of competition it mostly always been Intel or AMD and often 2nd place was quite a way behind.
I guess the downside now is that it might vary depending on the games you play and even if you can identify which ones is best for you now who knows how it will pan out in the future as you get new and different games...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom