Best CPU/GPU pair

Soldato
Evening all,

It’s upgrade time and I’m struggling to decide what the best combo is.

As an FYI, this is going to in a OcUK prebuilt.

I’d like some assistance in deciding where best to spend my cash and I’m deciding on the best CPU and GPU combo. I’ve whittled it down to:

• 5600x and 3080
  • 5800x and 3070ti
  • OR 5600x and 3070ti and save some cash.
I will be playing at 1440p and I play a wide range of games apart from Sims/Racing.

I know the 3080 will give me a better FPS boost but the 5800x will have a longer life due to the extra cores and I could keep it longer.

Ultimately I have around £2k to spend and I want to make the best use of that cash!

Appreciate the input!

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
I have a 3060ti and 3600 atm (selling to my bro thus the upgrade)

Ahh I edited as you replied. OK that adds purpose. If you sold it to your bro, I would still keep on a similar vibe, 5600x and 3080 (if you can get hold of one). What display do you have? The 3080 should be top end for a 1440p but would last for ages. You could get away with a weaker GPU and splash on the other components.

Soldato
OP
Ahh I edited as you replied. OK that adds purpose. If you sold it to your bro, I would still keep on a similar vibe, 5600x and 3080 (if you can get hold of one). What display do you have? The 3080 should be top end for a 1440p but would last for ages. You could get away with a weaker GPU and splash on the other components.

It’s the new Dell S2722DGM so 165hz.

3080 is definitely tempting and I hope that 6-cores will continue to be enough for the next 3-4 years.

Associate
There is a youtube channel "hardware unboxed" that benchmarked CPU's and GPUs (i really recommend you view it)

In a nutshell, at 4k gaming, the GPU is the bottle neck. It won't matter if you get 5600 / 5800 (the youtube vid will show you its only a couple fps difference between them). Among other things the performance difference isn't exactly night and day either.

If high FPS is important to you for your shooters and you have a high refresh rate monitor i.e. +120, then the best GPU you can grab will be the mvp in that setup.

P.S

If AMD remain competative, you can expect a sharp performance increase in the following years resulting in some potentially crazy upgrades. It may even be like the 90's all over again :eek:. So don't try and time the market and hope the CPU you get will remain relevant like previous models.

Last edited:
Soldato
Assuming they are similarly priced then I'd take a 5600X + 3080 over a 5800X and 3070ti.

Upgrading the CPU later on will work out cheaper than having to upgrade the GPU.

Soldato
Definitely the 5600x / 3080 route.

Even IF (Unlikely) 6 cores does start to struggle, a second hand 5800/5900x at that point would also be dirt cheap, or at this point you'd just be contemplating upgrading everything again anyway.

Soldato
Evening all,

It’s upgrade time and I’m struggling to decide what the best combo is.

As an FYI, this is going to in a OcUK prebuilt.

I’d like some assistance in deciding where best to spend my cash and I’m deciding on the best CPU and GPU combo. I’ve whittled it down to:

• 5600x and 3080
  • 5800x and 3070ti
  • OR 5600x and 3070ti and save some cash.
I will be playing at 1440p and I play a wide range of games apart from Sims/Racing.

I know the 3080 will give me a better FPS boost but the 5800x will have a longer life due to the extra cores and I could keep it longer.

Ultimately I have around £2k to spend and I want to make the best use of that cash!

Appreciate the input!
You know what, I'd hang on for two reasons. Alder Lake/DDR5/PCIE 5.0 round the corner + gpu prices falling/supply improving.

Soldato
He mentioned a pre-built rig so I assumed at the start he could source one (even if the 3080 was a bit more than an FE would cost).

Add a RTX anything to a pre built configuration and you go to the back of the queue. Suppliers and retailers are in pre order queues themselves.

Soldato
Oh, I thought it was the opposite. Sites like OcUK can build the rigs with AIB in stock?

For AMD systems, yes. Miners mopped up all the minimum spec + Uber RTX pre built’s too. It might be possible to get a pre built with a 3060 still.

Nvidia dropped the ball badly having its chips built at Samsung and becoming a retail outlet themselves. The supply is just dire.

Soldato
Nvidia dropped the ball badly having its chips built at Samsung and becoming a retail outlet themselves. The supply is just dire.
Supply has actually been very good and Nvidia have sold more ampere cards at this point after release than they had any other generation. It's just that the demand has been huge from gamers with many wanting to upgrade from 9/10 series added to that the lockdowns and many people getting into PC gaming and then miners taking a chunk.

Had Nvidia gone for TSMC then they would have been worse off especially in having to compete with Apple and AMD for the already limited supply of wafers.

Soldato
Supply has actually been very good and Nvidia have sold more ampere cards at this point after release than they had any other generation. It's just that the demand has been huge from gamers with many wanting to upgrade from 9/10 series added to that the lockdowns and many people getting into PC gaming and then miners taking a chunk.

Had Nvidia gone for TSMC then they would have been worse off especially in having to compete with Apple and AMD for the already limited supply of wafers.

Unlikely, the failure rate at Samsung is much higher than at TSMC. Samsung agreed to foot the bill for Nvidia but wastage is still wastage no matter how you look at it.

Nvidia just wanted to strong arm TSMC down to Samsung prices. Availability at TSMC wasn’t the really the issue. Nvidia are now paying for that since most of their products are tied up in mining facilities.

Back
Top Bottom