Best credit card in terms of rewards?

Soldato
I've had a Tesco credit card for probably 20 years but am not finding that the Clubcard rewards are particularly great anymore since they cut down the exchange structure so I'm in the market for a new card.

I don't have a balance to transfer and I always pay it off in full every month so my main aim is going to be to maximise any cashback/rewards - anyone got any recommendations?

BA Premium Plus Amex for the miles and flight voucher.
They've recently made the spend threshold to get the voucher higher however, so it's now less attractive.

Last edited:
Amex isn't too bad, again for flights mostly. If you find an invitation code, you'll get yourself a significant points boost ;)

Last edited:
Amex platinum cashback (if you can make it work, the one with the fee).

Fall back is Barclaycard rewards - added benefit is this is the best travel card out there for mon-fri.

I always keep a Monzo card handy as well, they often have retailer specific options. And their credit card lets you 'pay in 3' which is quite handy to manage cashflow.

Revolut for travel sat/sun. Also has retailer cash backs.

There is no other answer, unless you're a travel miles person then I'm out. Never bothered learning how they work.

Last edited:
In same boat. Could do with a non Amex card that gives rewards. Aren't tesco getting rid of their credit cards anyway?

They are moving to Barclays I believe - which isn't an issue for me - I was just thinking I'm missing out on rewards!

Flights/miles is a tricky one because I'm not sure how this translates when you book a package holiday (or perhaps it doesn't at all?) - I don't tend to book flights unless I'm going on holiday with the family!

I've had an Amex Cashback credit card for a few years now. It has a £25 annual fee, but I've averaged ~£150 a year cashback through it so it pays for itself. I think its 0.75% cashback now but I'm pretty sure it was 1% years back.

As others have said, I would prefer a non-amex card, but I've not seen anything with better offers.

They are moving to Barclays I believe - which isn't an issue for me - I was just thinking I'm missing out on rewards!

Flights/miles is a tricky one because I'm not sure how this translates when you book a package holiday (or perhaps it doesn't at all?) - I don't tend to book flights unless I'm going on holiday with the family!

I've never properly looked at flights as I thought it was limited to specific airlines? I seem to fly in the different airline every time. Certainly the last 4 holidays have all been different airlines. I wouldn't want to be locked in to that.

I much prefer cash rewards. But they are getting worse and worse over time.

BA Premium Plus Amex sign up for a BA Exec Club Account and there's a link to a 60,000 avios bonus with £6k spend which is very favourable

If you can spend £10k by 1st Nov you can get a companion voucher else £15k spend per card year after that

Planning on using mine on a business class trip to the Caribbean somewhere although I read the 777's on that route are the older style business class so i'm reconsidering

£1.25k per month still seems pretty reasonable to me, £200pm goes through my electric bill via Octopus so that's a good start
Is a lot when many places don't take Amex and most host hold bills are DD.

I'd say my total yearly spend on card stuff is 10-15k but some big ticket places don't take Amex.
Ebay have just stopped too.
The really big one for me is that the company I book most holidays with don't take Amex. Which wipes 3000-5000 a year off the Amex spend.

Last edited:
Is a lot when many places don't take Amex and most host hold bills are DD.

I'd say my total yearly spend on card stuff is 10-15k but some big ticket places don't take Amex.
Ebay have just stopped too.
The really big one for me is that the company I book most holidays with don't take Amex. Which wipes 3000-5000 a year off the Amex spend.

Put Amex as the primary card in Paypal.

So if it takes Paypal, Paypal will take money from Amex.

I use my Amex via Paypal now on ebay just fine.

Get a membership rewards card and you can use the points towards credit, flights, hotels, etc. Get the BA one if you want more Avios.

Another benefit of Amex is they have offers on spending as well such as 10% off at Samsung stores, discount at supermarkets, hotels, etc. These are on rotation but can be something decent.

ETA - I got the BA one a few months back as there was an offer of 60k Avios if you spent 3k in the first 3 months so keep an eye on joining offers as they are typically better than any referral offers.

Last edited:
91vu7d.jpg

Back
Top Bottom