Best DSL Solution For My Folks?

Associate
Heya,

My parents are about ready to get a computer after years of naggin' and so they'll need DSL. Unfortunately I've been living outside of the UK for a good 3 years now so am somewhat out of the loop about the various solutions available over there, and my searches on ADSLGuide and the such really aren't helping.

What'll they need is max 2MB speed, a router (maybe better to buy separately to assure quality?), and no other frills such as free firewall software that they try to sell you on even here in Germany. Caps won't really be an issue though I'm sure they'd appreciate one that gave them some room to download my archive of pictures and home movies from my site.

So, my open question is this - what provider and package would you recommend they get?

Thanks for any help and suggestions!

-Andy

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
To be honest virtually every provider is going to offer 8mbit nowadays.

I would be very tempted to go with someone like virgin as they have no setup costs and provide a free modem etc. Other than the caps (virgin are very relaxed ime) there isnt a lot between the main providers.

Caporegime
It's worth bearing in mind that free hardware/setup means you're generally stuck for 12 months (monthly contract with a "leave within 12 months and you have to pay a 'cancellation fee'" is hardly monthly), which might (or might not) be an issue..

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Yeah, 8mbit is pretty much standard across the board, only the very very cheap packages offer anything less. Speed will be a max of 8mbit down/448k up.

Virgin have always been good for my parents, its about £20 per month with free equipment.

I am with eclipse at £25 per month which seems very good, i thrash that too so you could get away with one of eclipses lower options. They also give free equipment but i think they charge around £50 activation.

Back
Top Bottom