Best email program for Mac OSX SL mail.app or entourage

Soldato
Hi all

After using webmail for years going to go back to a real mail client, not used one at home since the days of eudora/communicator 4 .

I use outlook to connect to exchange at work and i need a minimum of my 3 accoutnts / exhcnage/hotmail and gmail to be handled.

So what's the deal - is entourage better than the inbuilt mail.app?

Mail.app won;t do exchange with a 2003 server, but I can probably get a newer 2007 mailbox.

What do you guys use? Something else?

I deally I'd like some kind of calander sync as well so I can add stuff to my work calendar while at home etc.

Soldato
Entourage 2008 is a pile of steaming gorilla turd. Every single Mac user I have come across that uses it has problems.

However, Office 2011 for OS X is not too far away, and they have replaced Entourage with a proper honest to goodness Outlook which will fully support Exchange. I believe there is a BETA if you wish to try it out.

Personally, I use Outlook 2010 via Parallels on my MBP.

Soldato
Mail is a very good email app. I don't like entourage 2008 at all personally. If exchange 2003 is a deal breaker though you're pretty much stuck with entourage until 2011 comes out.

Soldato
OP
Well I can probably upgrade my exchange account to a 2007 account, as we have a mixture of accounts, which should mean mail can use it. But does it actually work in terms of meeting requests/calendar/ server folders etc?

Soldato
OP
ALSO: It's freaking 2010 and I'm seriously getting the impression that there is no 'decent, professional' Macintsh email client that support gmail/hotmail and exchange seamlessly. W T F !! SRSLY?!

Soldato
OK. That seems a little overkill running a vm for a decent email client on the mac, though?

The point of Parallels and VMWare having integration with OS X is to run decent software that the Mac lacks.

Anyway, Office 2011 has gone RTM and it's on technet so should be available through your employer already.

Soldato
OK. That seems a little overkill running a vm for a decent email client on the mac, though?

I don't just use the VM for Office.

The point of Parallels and VMWare having integration with OS X is to run decent software that the Mac lacks.

Precisely. OS X does not have [or at the time, did not have] a decent Outlook alternative. I also wanted an Office environment so I wouldn't have to contend with any kind of formatting issues.

I work with Windows domains, so having access to Windows on my MBP is great, as I don't always want to sit in front of my main computer.

Back
Top Bottom