• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Best GPU for Rendering

Associate
Hi. I just posted a question in the CPU forum about the best CPU for rendering with 3DS Max for £350 and the answer was the Ryzen 1700.

With that in mind I also need a new GPU, currently I have a HD6850. Again price wise I'm happy to spend upto £350 and from the looks of it its either a RX580 or 1060.

Any advice on which would be the best for viewport performance and rendering would be greatly appreciated,

Associate
OP
I know Quadro and FirePro cards and the industry standard but they are way out of my budget. I just want to know which of the consumer cards will give the most bang for buck. I follow a few 3D artists and some of them just have upto 4 1080's or titan blacks in their rigs as they are beasts and far cheaper than a high end Quadro cards.

At most I need viewport performance if I decide to try using programs like realflow or thinking particles. After that I just need sheer rendering power

Soldato
I do real time rendering on my Unity engine project using a FuryX. It gets the job done, and haven't had issues yet.

Also it all depends the CPU you are using. A 4c/8t is really terrible on this job regardless even if you use a Pro card.
It needs something 8c/16t or better. Hence I am in the middle atm wait for the Ryzen 16c/32t or get a Ryzen 8c/16t. At least AMD provide us with affordable multi core CPUs atm.

Soldato
I bought a secondhand GTX 970 for my dads workstation. No gaming (unless I pop round :)) He's using the Adobe CC suite mainly AE, Photoshop and Illustrator.

My limited experience of Blender rendering back when I had a GTX 780 was quite incredible.

My choice would be a Nvidia card for 3DS Max.

Associate
I've rendered for years, and found that the gaming cards are just as good as Quadros that firms stump up silly money for. So imo, just get the best gaming card you can afford, obviously at the moment a 1080ti would be my pick.

Associate
OP
I've rendered for years, and found that the gaming cards are just as good as Quadros that firms stump up silly money for. So imo, just get the best gaming card you can afford, obviously at the moment a 1080ti would be my pick.

Would a 1060 be good enough? I'd love a 1080 but its not in my budget. I was thinking maybe a 1060 and then give it a year and get another one and put them in SLI.

Soldato
Would a 1060 be good enough? I'd love a 1080 but its not in my budget. I was thinking maybe a 1060 and then give it a year and get another one and put them in SLI.

The GTX 1060 does not support SLi.

As additional VRAM seems to be a significant factor then the RX 480 8GB may be a better starting point. And has crossfire support.

Last edited:
Associate
As plec states, VRAM is paramount so I'd try to save for something a bit higher spec than the 1060 unfortunately. It all depends on how complex your scenes are that you are proposing to render.
A second hand card might be an idea?

Back
Top Bottom