• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Best Graphics Card for £30-£35...?

Permabanned
Looking for a decent GFX card for about £30-£35. Won't be used for gaming, as it's just for a build I'm doing for my dad, so basic use really. I have an XFX 6600GT (128mb) which I was thinking of using, but would a cheap new card be better for £30-£35, or would I just be wasting my money??

:)

Associate
I very much doubt you will be able to get a new £35 card that outperforms a 6600GT, that card should be more than capable for what you are doing

edit- if you're on about the DS3 for C2D, then you will have to buy a new PCIE card I am afraid

Soldato
Raikiri said:
best bet would be a second hand 6600GT/x800gt/7600GS if you're very lucky
OTT for what the OP needs. just basic desktop/playing video usage by the sounds of it. something like a x300 or similar on the nvidia side would even do.

Soldato
sja360 said:
OTT for what the OP needs. just basic desktop/playing video usage by the sounds of it. something like a x300 or similar on the nvidia side would even do.

And what card did I suggest? ;) A 6200 which has better video playback than the x300 series for £30, but there are also faster alternatives if he wants them.

Bananadude said:
What's wrong with Turbo Cache? I saw this one;

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-028-BG

No good??

Turbo cache uses system memory when running a 3D app, as well as making the whole system slower it cripples the graphics card.

Permabanned
OP
Raikiri said:
Turbo cache uses system memory when running a 3D app, as well as making the whole system slower it cripples the graphics card.
But I doubt any 3D apps will be used. It will be general desktop use (using Win XP), video playback, DVD, net use etc. The chance of any games being played is virtually nil, and certainly no danger of 3D apps like Maya being used!! :)

Taking this into account, would the 7300 be a superior card to the MSI 6200 you recommended? Only £5 difference.

Maybe should point out also that a 20" LCD monitor is being used (1680x1050 res), if that makes any difference.

Last edited:
Soldato
when on a budget as low as yours you should check out the members market or other second hand alternatives to stretch your cash the furthest.
if new then a 7300 cheapest of the bunch is the best idea. if you got more money though a 7300gt would be the best way to go, iv seen them go for £52 inc vat and delivery.

Back
Top Bottom