• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Best graphics card without a power connector...?

Soldato
Hey,

My mate has a Dell Vostro with an 8300GS (I think) and wants something a bit beefier to tackle HL2, WoW and Dawn of War at his screen's resolution (1680x1050). But there are no spare power connectors in the machine to feed a high end card! What is the best card available now that doesn't need the additional 6-pin PEG connector? Would he be better off waiting for the next gen of mid-range cards to come out?

Cheers,

Suman

Associate
You can get adapters to run the PCI-E card off two normal molex power connectors as long as the PSU has enough juice on the 12V rails. Most cards with the 6 pin connector come with one.

Soldato
i had the same problem with my brothers packard bell unit i just bought a new psu and 3650 256mb gfx which dont require any conectors so you can try that one i think is the best u can maybe im wrong...

Associate
You will be hard pushed to find many cards these days without the need for a power connector.

From a quick look you might want to look at the Nvidia GeForce 8600GT, some models do not need a power connector, and run from the motherboard power only, sell for around £50, but check carefully on each model if it needs a power connector or not.

It will do a better job than the 8300, especially at that res. The 8300 is an integrated graphics chip, so it cannot achieve the performance a dedicated graphics card can.

If you have a hybrid sli motherboard, then the 8400GS and 8500GT support geforce boost, as listed here http://www.nvidia.com/object/hybrid_sli.html

it means those models can combine with the onboard 8300 graphics chip

8400GS/8500GT offer a lot less graphics performance than a 8600GT though. Might be worth researching how much performance boost you might achieve by using the hybrid sli route though.

Soldato
I think you will be stuck with either a HD3650 (as grudas has suggested) although make sure its a GDDR3 model and not the slower DDR2 model, or a 8600GT.

I don't think there is much in it in terms of out right performance but I would check up on some reviews first to make sure the card you get is fast enough for the games you (your mate) actually wants to play.

Soldato
HD 2600XT GDDR4 - RAM is faster than the 3650 and so is the core clock. Yes it doesnt have dx 10.1, but good luck running dx 10 anyway.

Caporegime
Lots of hassle, invalidates the warranty etc. etc.

3650 seems nice, and ATI Vista drivers are a lot better than nV's offering from what I gather? He's an ATi fanboy anyway, so I guess that's the best option :D

Cheers,

Suman
so changing the gfx card wont invalidate the warranty but a new PSU will. dell's warranty has never impressed me. i had a computer that had to be sent back to dell for reapir at a workplace and ended up costing more than just getting the part

Soldato
IF the power supply can hack it, you could use a molex "Y" adaptor to give you an extra molex plug, job sorted.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CB-003-AK&groupid=701&catid=48&subcat=&name=Akasa%20"Y"%20Power%20Splitter%20-%20DAYGLO%20Blue

But that splits the power. Note that you need to 2 molexes to feed a pci-e 6 pin output. Using a molex splitter isnt really that smart. Otherwise you could just split a single molex into 2 to feed that pci-e 6 pin wire.

edit: unless of course you mean split them for the hard drive and optical drive which if possible (distance) would work i guess.

Back
Top Bottom