Best headphone for competitive games FPS 300-400€£

Associate
Hi, I'm looking for upgrading my headphones.
Focusing only on gaming, mostly FPS like Call of Duty.
I'm currently with sennheiser 350se, conected to the mother board ASUS ROG Strix X570-E Gaming and for positional audio is just OK.

After researching I would like to know if Audio-Technica ATH-AD700X still the best for this purpose without expending more than 500£.

I've recently tried beyerdynamic mmx300 (2nd) and it was disappointed, not proper accuracy, closed and I couldn't hear myself talking (noticed I was screaming to my friends).
Open back will do the job.

I don't want to use the headphones for movies or music, just games and focusing on FPS.
I play in a quiet environment.
I could buy a mic if the headphone recommended doesn't have it.

My budget is around 400£ total, headphones + DAC or soundcard if needed unless there is something worth to expend around 500£.

Is ATH-AD700X worth it after to many years or there are better options? Should I need a DAC or sound card if finally go with this headphone?

I really appreciate all feedback.
Thank you guys.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I have no clue about sound cards or DAC and witch one is better. I don't think I need something portable, because I use headphones to watch TV very little.

Should I get a good sound card and if the quality sound doesn't improve update the headphones?

Or get both at same time, Black Friday is coming and I kept some savings for the upgrade.

Associate
OP
The sennheiser hd600 is the other headphone I have in mind. I thought maybe the hd 650 or 660s, but I've read the hd600 are better for my purpose.

Associate
OP
Thank you so much for the replies. Is that software HRTF like Spatial sound Windows or similar? I didn't touch the audio settings more than activate spatial sound Windows or Dolby atmos, and settings in game.
Hence speaker stereo mix doesn't even give proper left-tight immersion with headphones.
But only very artificial "sound inside left or right ear, or in center of head":
https://youtu.be/Y6ROujJ8Ae8?t=48
SBX sounds a bit better but I don't know if it's because of my current headphones or bad accuracy creating the game because except the pipe whistling when he is moving around, rest sounds don't feel just right, sounds slightly better than hearing with speakers (focusing on positioning)

On the battlefield video sound more accurate, but I have to review it again because I can't decide which one is my favourite, because just sound different.
I activated sonar Windows and I can hear my friends kind of a metallic voice (sorry, English is not my first language and also because of my knowledge of sound is very low I don't know how to describe it properly) but the steps a bit better. Checked also the Dolby atmos program and wasn't better. Without any program, sounds plane, not too bad for anything else but bad for positioning.

What I have to bear in mind for that porpoise? An open back stereo sounds more appropriate instead of 5.1 /7.1 headphones, and yes, I could say my head is on a normal range. Is OHM something to be worried about or just for the sound card witch has to drive the headphones.
In this season with Covid is really hard to try more hardware before buying it and I'm afraid to fail again.
Thinking about the headphones we mentioned still having big variety of reviews been really good or awful.
In the meantime I think I'm going with the sound card to check if there is any improvement on my 8 years old 350se, and buy the headphones once I receive the sound card.
Is there any other model I can check for my purpose?
Thank you kindly

Associate
OP
After a few reviews I'm very curious about k702, k612 and dt990. I think I finally go for k702 as Esat said.
Now in not sure about Sound BlasterX G6 or AE-5 or AE-5 plus to drive them.

Also, as a microphone, mod mic is alright or I should get a stand mic?

Thanks again.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Well, finally arrived the sound card soubdblaster AE-5 plus and between dt990 and k702 I got the second choice. I thought I would never buy an AKG headphones but the reviews and impressions let me decided for them.
I just installed the sound card and I tried with my old headphones sennheiser pc350 se and OMG what a change, just for 5mins only a video, I didn't play or testing deeper but the improvement seems to be obvious. I've just finished my shift after 5 nights in a row and I'm too tired to keep testing but after a nap I'll go for it. Thanks for all the replies and I'll post my final impressions when I work with them deeper.

Associate
OP
Hello again, it's been a few months trying my new sound setup. I have to say it's really confortable. I can use it for hours without any problem. With the sound card AE-5 it's very nice when you play. Was annoying at first, I tried mostly all settings, some of then very accurate on positioning right or left, but you could notice how sound disappear on the front and back. Scout mode, same problem, even trying a custom audio. Finally, in going at the moment with direct sound, and with DTS home cinema. It's the one I can feel where the enemies are. After long time with scout mode, thinking it was the best, I realised how rich the sound was with direct mode. Of course, only talking about CoD warzone.
If anyone has another configuration, I would like to know to try it.
I love mi new headphones.
All the best.

Back
Top Bottom