best home delivery company?

Associate
just looking for peoples opinions and experiences

until the Covid lockdown i always did my shopping instore - but because i am of an at age/risk group i started online shopping

originally i had a Waitrose delivery on Tuesday and a Tesco delivery on Wednesday (to cover items Waitrose could not supply on Tuesday)

Tesco have been pretty reliable since my first order - but my god Waitrose have just got worse and worse

ok - i accept i'm in North Notts so not exactly the homeland of Waitrose customers

but use by dates (despite my notes asking for long use by dates) have been appalling - often the day after delivery

now call me dumb (many do) i discovered Ocado and immediately dumped Waitrose

i love food and cooking especially fish - from Ocado i can buy UK fish landed in say Newlyn (Dover Sole/Monkfish/Hake etc)

if i drove 50 miles from my house i could not find these fish FRESH

Wagyu burgers/free range smoked franks etc etc - and yes, some treats eg Japanese smoked eel and Octopus tentacles

more expensive? - honestly i don't know or care

i still use Tesco for everyday items

Last edited:
Soldato
I can't imagine any pickers read your notes about picking items with the longest shelf life. They'll just have a list of items to collect and they'll pull the first one from the shelf.

Unfortunately getting the choice of longer shelf life is only a privilege for in-store shoppers.

Associate
OP
and before anybody says - i don't know what its like to be poor trying to make the choice between food and heating

been there, seen it, and designed the T shirt

i have had gas/electric/phone cut off for non payment a few times

i have a CCJ for Council Tax

i lived with my girlfriend in a Cheshire cottage - the only gas fire was disconnected by British Gas because of carbon monoxide fumes

as a result the toothpaste froze in the tube and the toilet cistern cracked when it froze

so yes, i know how it feels to be under financial pressure

and because now i can enjoy these luxuries it makes me appreciate them all the more

Associate
OP
I can't imagine any pickers read your notes about picking items with the longest shelf life. They'll just have a list of items to collect and they'll pull the first one from the shelf.

Unfortunately getting the choice of longer shelf life is only a privilege for in-store shoppers.
actually, my first Waitrose delivery driver told me the 'inside story' as she worked as a picker before becoming a delivery driver

they are under so much time pressure from store managers that looking for use by dates was not an option

she did however confirm that pickers are not told to pick food with short use by dates

Caporegime
and before anybody says - i don't know what its like to be poor trying to make the choice between food and heating

been there, seen it, and designed the T shirt

i have had gas/electric/phone cut off for non payment a few times

i have a CCJ for Council Tax

i lived with my girlfriend in a Cheshire cottage - the only gas fire was disconnected by British Gas because of carbon monoxide fumes

as a result the toothpaste froze in the tube and the toilet cistern cracked when it froze

so yes, i know how it feels to be under financial pressure

and because now i can enjoy these luxuries it makes me appreciate them all the more
What on earth was that pointless rant all about :confused:

Associate
I think OP re-read and their statement about 'not caring if more expensive' might've come across a tad snooty so softened with a rant. :D

Home delivery will have its flaws which you accept over convenience. You run the risk of expiry dates, substituting and over charging.

Don't think you'll ever be 100% satisfied, try them all and see which one works best for you.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I think OP re-read and their statement about 'not caring if more expensive' might've come across a tad snooty so softened with a rant. :D

Home delivery will have its flaws which you accept over convenience. You run the risk of expiry dates, substituting and over charging.

Don't think you'll ever be 100% satisfied, try them all and see which one works best for you.
exactly - thank you

i thought my original post may have come over as as 'entitled'

so gave some clarification

Associate
OP
What on earth was that pointless rant all about :confused:
maybe engage your brain before posting?

it was firstly not a rant

a simple explanation that my original post may have shown a sense of entitlement?

i was basically saying - i know what it is like to be body poor

hope this helps you to focus?

Associate
OP
anyway my last post on this forum

most disappointing was the lack of help offered by forum members on a totally unrelated topic

i asked if somebody could print me approx 50no cd inserts

i got a load of crap because i am not a computer nerd

i was prepared to pay good money but still was treated with disdain

so goodbye

Last edited:
Soldato
anyway my last post on this forum

most disappointing was the lack of help offered by forum members on a totally unrelated topic

i asked if somebody could print me approx 50no cd inserts

i got a load of crap because i am not a computer nerd

i was prepared to pay good money but still was treated with disdain

so goodbye
What help did you ask for, I must have missed it in my stupidity.

Back
Top Bottom