• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Best low heat AM4 CPU?

Soldato
So I've got a SFF PC that's currently running a ASRock B350 ITX motherboard and a Ryzen 100 CPU.
I believe the CPU is the only thing preventing the PC from being Windows 11 compatible so I'm wondering what options I have as a drop in replacement.
The issue is that with it being a SFF PC in a Silverstone ML08 case there's not much room for a CPU cooler, so I need something that run at least as cool as the 1400. I'm guessing this means a 65W CPU but I'm not sure if all 65W AM4 CPUs hit similar temperatures or if some run cooler than others? I'd expect less core to be cooler but is that the case?

So in short, as the title says, what's the coolest running AM4 CPU (and in the case of a few similar, which is best)?

Man of Honour
This is only one result and I don't know if the conditions were exactly the same, but TPU use the same heatsink for their temperature measurements and the 2600 (Zen+, non-X) runs the coolest by a fairly large margin, then the 5600 (non-X) and some way after that, the 3600.

Quite a few on here have owned CPUs of each gen, so maybe they will let you know.

Associate
So in short, as the title says, what's the coolest running AM4 CPU (and in the case of a few similar, which is best)?

All of the AM4 motherboards have a 45W "eco" (60W total) setting for all of the AM4 chips of any generation. You will see higher temps on the 5000x series. But in essence they are all cool running if you set them to be in the bios.
On the 6 core chips you will 'lose' about 100mhz on single core performance and 10% on multicore.

The cheapest 2nd hand chip that will run win11 out of the box is the 2600. The bottom AM4 chip with integrated gfx for Win11 is the 3000g.

Soldato
OP
All of the AM4 motherboards have a 45W "eco" (60W total) setting for all of the AM4 chips of any generation. You will see higher temps on the 5000x series. But in essence they are all cool running if you set them to be in the bios.
On the 6 core chips you will 'lose' about 100mhz on single core performance and 10% on multicore.

The cheapest 2nd hand chip that will run win11 out of the box is the 2600. The bottom AM4 chip with integrated gfx for Win11 is the 3000g.
Oh right, I don't think I've seen that setting, I'll have to have a look.
EDIT: Do you know what the setting will be called?

Last edited:
Associate
Should be listed as ECO mode in the bios, you might need a bios update

**Edit** I dont see it on B550 + 5600x, only see the option on the new 7800x3d setup

Last edited:
Associate
You can get more or less the same result by setting PBO package power to 60W on your B550. [I couldn't tell any difference from 80W PBO and the 65W eco settings on 3 different different brand b450/550 boards when mining on 12 core 3900xs]

Strange there is no straight up eco mode setting on your board.

Associate
The stock cooler with the 5600X is a trifle noisy at full pelt. I put one in a Silverstone SG05 and found it intolerable, you would perhaps need something like the Noctua NH-L9a to quieten it down.
I am having fun with the taller version, switched the fan to a 25mm deep Chromax fan and it is much quieter.

Associate
not sure if it helps OP but I had my spare PC with a 3200G running Windows 11 and bought a 1600 for very little and swapped them over and Windows 11 hasn't complained.

Soldato
You can pick up a 5700X for £150ish and they don't run particularly hot, you could also check the MM for a cheap 3600 or something too.

Assuming you don't need onboard anyway.

Soldato
Avoid the higher output single CCD chips such as the 5800x and 5800x3d as these run the hottest (I have a 5800x and it's difficult even with watercooling because of the single CCD).

However bear in mind that you can limit the wattage going to the CPU in the BIOS to lower temps.

Associate
Avoid the higher output single CCD chips such as the 5800x and 5800x3d as these run the hottest (I have a 5800x and it's difficult even with watercooling because of the single CCD).

However bear in mind that you can limit the wattage going to the CPU in the BIOS to lower temps.
Have you used pbo I’ve -30 all my cores and the temps are much lower

Back
Top Bottom